Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Call out to the small cent collectors  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
Canada
7891 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  5:30 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After discussions with Bill Cross, it has been decided that this time, the variety section of the 70th Edition of the Charlton Catalogue (Numismatic Issues) will not a be a big secret prior to publication. The upcoming 70th edition of the Charlton Catalogue will have the variety section dedicated to small 1-cent coins.

Bill twisted my arm, and I agreed to write this part of the catalogue for him. Note, it is my opinion, and one also shared by Bill Cross, that die clashes (i.e., hanging dates), Machine Doubling elements, die deterioration doubling, die cracks and over polished or refurbished dies - do not constitute a true variety. While those various phenomena will be briefly discussed, with examples, they will not be given a Charlton number (this is where Hans Zoell tried to quantify a never-ending number of features, not at all related an intentional variety of the die). See my article earlier this year in the CN Journal, on Machine Doubling of the dates of George VI 1-cent coins. That means the variety section will no doubt be succinct, and if someone wants to continue Hans Zoell's work - by all means, have at it!!

Now, that said, I have a pretty extensive list of small cent varieties in my research notes at home, but if there is anything "new" that you have discovered in the past few years, particularly in the George V and George VI series, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. All (original) discoverers of varieties, will be acknowledged as such in the catalogue (much like I did with the 67th edition on the nickel dollars).

Cheers, --Roger
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3379 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good, when will the 70th be out?
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2838 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2015  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think not listing varieties by year which are caused by the type of minting occurrences that you've mentioned is a really great idea. Otherwise it tends to leave the impression the particular coin of a certain year was intentionally minted that way, as opposed to the interesting offshoot of coin collecting -- examining and detecting errors, regardless.
Valued Member
Canada
467 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2015  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats SPP no else could do as good as job as you will do, can't wait for the book .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
933 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2015  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been on the hunt for a good reference like this for a while -- I'm looking forward to the book and know it'll be worth the wait.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4893 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2015  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well said in regard to varieties SPP. I have long wondered about the (misguided? My opinion)fascination with MD, hanging dates etc...in Canadian numismatics. Reminds me of a time BIE (die chips) were all the hubub in U.S. small cent circles.....Will definitely grab copy of the new guide....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2015  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be looking forward to it too, I got rid of most of my small cents but kept a few thousand of the better ones and just waiting for a reference to come along.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
853 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2015  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, I really like the sound of how you are going about this. Good luck with the writing and I look forward to seeing it when it comes out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1937 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2015  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I agree with most of the decision on what and what not to list, I think that large offset MD and die deterioration doublings deserve a spot in the variety sections, just like we did for the large cents. If you can see something with the naked eye or no more than 3X clearly, then those offsets merit enough to deserve attention. Die cracks, in my mind, never deserve any consideration for a veriety, although they sometimes can serve as semi-reliable markers of TRUE varieties, depending on how early the cracks developed. Clashes, except for deep, exceptional ones also shouldn't be considered, but clashes like the beads on the 1881 LC's certainly do.
Learn More...
Canada
7891 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2015  07:37 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair enough, but are speaking of entirely different production streams and systems, when you are using large cents as an analogy...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1937 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2015  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there were entirely different systems, equipment and materials and that makes a huge difference. I applaud your endeavors and good luck SPP. There may be some others on this site who can lend a hand, but bright and shinys do not my fingers touch.
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2015  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdcoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck Roger.you might have to cut down on these field trips to finish this on time.Looking forward to it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
702 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2015  11:51 am  Show Profile   Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hoping to see a good break down of the 1929 small cent low/medium/high 9s!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1937 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2015  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '62 cent should be interesting
Learn More...
Canada
7891 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2015  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am hoping to see a good break down of the 1929 small cent low/medium/high 9s!

So am I.... someday. This is a variety catalogue, very limited in scope - it is not a die study...

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2182 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2015  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paulsz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can't wait for this edition!
If you have any of the following Canadian coins for sale, message me:
1. 1937 Mirror or Matte specimen coins, in SP64 or higher for mirror, and SP66 and higher for matte.
2. 1908 or 1911 specimen coins, in any specimen grade.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05