Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957-D (LWC) Thin or wrong planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1462 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  3:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

The weight is 2.4 grams and when you do the drop test, it rings more like silver does (which it is obviously not) as opposed to the thud of copper. Any opinions? I appreciate the help, thank you.

"And the search continues..."
Pillar of the Community
United States
6208 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the stock of the copper went through the dime thinning process. Maybe it is a tapered planchet. Wait for the real experts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31935 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a thin planchet. Nice find.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2015  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What'd be the value on this, anyways?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1462 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2015  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What'd be the value on this, anyways?

A 1950's thin planchet sold on eBay a couple of days ago for a little over $10.
"And the search continues..."
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joshua kennedy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1957 d penny looks like it was on a nickel planchet
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31935 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is copper colored, then the edge is probably reduced making the edges look thicker. The nickel planchet wouldn't fit into the collar. The weight would also be a factor. So if color and weight in normal for a cent, when it was struck it was normal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, this cent was struck on a planchet punched out of rolled-thin cent stock.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a rolled thin planchet to me as well. Nice find!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12074 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find and congratulations! It's a Rolled Thin Planchet. http://www.error-ref.com/rolled-thin-planchets/
Errers and Varietys
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add da Swampster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very kewl find, ^5 !

Swamp
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05