Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake 1804 Large Cent

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2015  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still up and over $500

Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2015  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is STILL up. I don't think ebay is going to do anything.

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20393 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2015  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've reported it to my contact with the explanation and a link to this topic. We'll see what he thinks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2015  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your contact reads the tread it will get pulled
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2015  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still there. Looks like someone is going to lose $600. Others have pointed out the issue and he actually put the questions in the listing. I guess the bidders never read that.

Edited by OldSkoolMadSkilz
07/16/2015 11:44 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In which case I can't really feel sorry for them. The information is right there telling them it is a fake, but they buy it anyway then they kind of deserve what they get.
Gary Schmidt
CCF Sponsor
United States
702 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scropper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the good news is they're still protected and if they catch their mistakes after the fact, they can always return it.

Sometimes you get so caught up you miss what's right in front of you. It happens.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly enough, the buyer will love their coin and give positive feedback about their bargain 1804.

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20393 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately my contact must be on vacation or something. I usually get a reply in less than 30 minutes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just closed at $688. I bought a couple of gold pieces from smallsword and was satisfied with the transactions. I'm a bit disappointed this listing was not quickly removed once the alteration was reported (and acknowledged!) by the seller.
He could still notify the buyer after the fact and cancel the deal which would be the right thing to do. If the coin ships the buyer will hopefully figure it out and return it for a full refund.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2015  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, we tried. The worst part is that for a few hundred more, they could have gotten a genuine one in similar condition.

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20393 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2015  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They got it in time. I also got this message back with an explanation in response to the explanation here...

The Large Fraction reverse first occurred in 1803, so this is not an 1801 obverse. It is also not an 1804 reverse. The relationships between the leaf points and letters, and the berries and letters is 100% wrong for an 1804. Defintely a tooled and altered date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2015  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whew!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2015  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They got it in time. I also got this message back with an explanation in response to the explanation here...

The Large Fraction reverse first occurred in 1803, so this is not an 1801 obverse. It is also not an 1804 reverse. The relationships between the leaf points and letters, and the berries and letters is 100% wrong for an 1804. Defintely a tooled and altered date.

Didn't I say that in my first post?

Yes, yes I did.

Quote:
it has a large fraction reverse so it can't be an 1801. The large fraction was only used in 03, 04, and 07. After a quick look it looks like the reverse of 1807 S-275 and 276. The position of the point of leaf nearly below the center of the O in OF quickly eliminates all the large fraction reverses except 1803 S-265 and 1807 S-275/276
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/20/2015 08:46 am
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20393 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2015  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Conder, I sent the first explanation in the topic. I knew it would be good enough to take it down so I didn't look any further in the thread.

Quote:
eBay is notorious for having very different standards depending on how much revenue a seller generates (for eBay, not for the seller.) The fact that the seller is reputable actually makes it harder to get violation items removed!

You know this? You work for eBay? I can tell you from experience that is absolutely not true. I get listings removed all the time from huge sellers. It's not a problem.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05