Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1797 Silver Dollar - 10/6 Stars - Advice?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  11:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DavidS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another question from a non-collector. I have a 1797 Silver Dollar with 10-6 stars from an estate I helped settle. I understand this is (could be) a valuable coin but it has damage. If you look at the photos below, you can see that it was drilled at one time to be used as a pendant and later refilled. Look to the right of the date on the front and between STATES & OF on the back.

Is this coin still valuable enough to warrant professional grading and certification? If the damage has decreased the value enough, I may put it on ebay. If so, what would you estimate the value of this coin to be? Any advice or suggestions on how to dispose of this coin would be greatly appreciated.

Please understand that I'm in rural Maine, over an hour away from any reliable coin dealers, so popping into the local coin shop is not an option for me. Thanks in advance for any advice or help I can get.

Edited by DavidS
07/21/2015 2:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add randyK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake, sorry
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why fake?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be nice, if posting it is fake, to post what you are
seeing that makes you think it is fake.

DavidS, is it possible for to get the weight, in grams.
And if you have a strong magnet, check to see if it
will pick up the coin.

Also what does the coins edge look like?

Not a expert so not going to say if it is real or fake.

But if real, even with the hole repaired, it would have some value.
Edited by GR58
07/21/2015 12:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm interesting coin

My first thought was counterfeit. The eagle on reverse looks strange and so does the color of the coin.

But it looks old. Maybe contemporary counterfeit? That would be pretty cool too.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the edge look like? Can you post a picture of that?
Pillar of the Community
861 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add g048406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1797 10x6 B-3, VG details plugged-scratched.....probably worth around $750. JMO
Edited by g048406
07/21/2015 2:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TypeCoin, I didn't realize what the term 'lettered edge' meant. Photos added - you'll have to pardon my professional coin stand. The lettering appears to be correct. HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT with some extra decorative(?) marks in the blank spaces.

Definitely not magnetic.

I did a little more research into counterfeits [http://drapedbustcoins.reidgold.com/page_7.html] and this coin doesn't appear to have any of the markers mentioned.

I appreciate all the input I'm getting, it's a quick education.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the scale is tipping towards real.

David,
The most important thing you could do now is get the weight in grams.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9274 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears genuine and repaired. I agree $750 USD sounds fair enough. Should weigh about 26.5 grams given the wear which is down to VG Details or so.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks real to me, B-3 variety. 1797 is a little better date but not better priced and the B-3 is common for the year. With the hole the $750 figure sounds about right for a RETAIL value. Not what a dealer would pay.

Slabbing it would not help with the value, but it might make it a little easier to sell because so many people can't judge for themselves and are afraid to risk more than a few dollars without having a crutch.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/21/2015 3:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please understand that I'm in rural Maine, over an hour away from any reliable coin dealers, so popping into the local coin shop is not an option for me.

Same situation here.
Your best option is to believe in the CCF members who know and have been around a number of years.
Conder101,
BH1964.
Nice coin I would hold on to it.
Edited by bpoc1
07/21/2015 3:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45948 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly looks OK to me. I've seen a fair amount of silver from that period with that hundred-years-in-a-drawer look after a long life.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely real.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7189 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2015  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks real to me (from what the photographs can show), this coin is worth having put into a TPG holder, preferably PCGS or NGC, either one will call the coin damaged or "details" not gradable but genuine. The repair isn't all that bad on the plug or hole IMO. Bear in mind that a coin that is damaged generally brings 40-80% less than a similar coin without the damage. This dollar being an early example of US history has quite a bit of value regardless to most collectors.

Condor101 and BH1964 have both proven to be very knowledgable when it comes to early US coins here on CCF. Don't take advice from those that claim the coin is fake that can't back up their reasoning without just the mention of "FAKE" and have no points as to why they think so.

This is a very nice coin in spite of it's previous damage. Thanks for sharing it with us DavidS.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05