Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HawaII Dollar Supposedly Unc Details? U Got To Be Kidding

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,137Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
303 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin is listed on one of the national auction websites. I cannot believe that this coin was graded UNC details! It is probably at best VF details.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. This is most likely a misprint on the label.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14155 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know anything about Hawaiian dollars but I would think there should be more detail on hair, beard ,& mustache .
I'll go with VF also.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6862 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur this is mis-graded ... likely a label printing error.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller, a well known retailer, is selling it as graded and asking $699. Have to question their grading ability
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy the coin and not the slab. Sleazy profit-blinded capitalists.
Edited by TypeCoin971793
07/23/2015 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buy the coin and not the slab. Sleazy profit-blinded capitalists.

As a self-identifying member of the "Sleazy profit-blinded capitalists" I take great offense
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9054 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I fear the slab may be tampered with, but more likely, it may just be a label misprint.

Cert pulls up as a 10995/1883 Hawaii $1, non-SC holder, flagged GENUINE, UNC, and DETAILS code 98 (damage/NOS)

My money's on what PCGS euphemistically calls a "Data Entry Error." It's not covered by the GGA (Guarantee Resub) refund program.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if and how a buyback would work with a details coin if somebody wanted to go that route with this guy?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17398 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct with
"at best VF details".

I suspect a fake slab.

Until the coin is taken out of the slab, it cannot be investigated properly. Because of this, there remains the possibility that the coin may also be fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3501 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS is starting to stand for People Can't Grade ........Seriously. that. Hawaiin piece is a total joke. I am firmly convinced that PCGS is motivated only by the fantastic revenues they continue to generate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like tape residue outside the corners if the coin, not haze from cracking the slab. See how uniform the pattern areas are. And personally I don't see anything suspect with the label color or font but I am halfeye tired right now
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add randyK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS graded some of my large cents VF details that are solid AU details this week. They were previously in PCGS AU details holders and I was seeing if they could come back as straight grades, instead they gave me VF details!! Not even close. Maybe they messed this coin up for one of mine? LOL
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9054 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2015  12:23 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are quite a few misprinted labels, it happens more than you'd expect. Another good reason to buy the coin and not the slab.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2015  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CartwheelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is most certainly not an uncirculated coin. A shame that some individuals opt to profit off obvious errors rather than do right by all parties involved.

Rob.
CCF Sponsor
United States
702 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2015  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scropper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if it's one of the new slabs, one of those that literally falls apart in your hands?

(I recently got a coin back from them and it was sealed tight as a drum. But not all of their recent coins/new slabs have been!)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,137Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05