Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buffalo Nickel With Rotated Die Error - Help Me Understand

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,609Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
86 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AlabamaDan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through my album today I realized that one of my nickels has a rotated die error. I assume this makes it more valuable, but honestly I'm not really up on what this means. Can y'all educate me?

Edited by AlabamaDan
08/16/2015 2:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carnold744 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very common error in the buffalo series. Little to no value added, really. Yours appears to be a pretty slight rotation if I'm looking at it correctly.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming that both pics were postrd sideways.... I think you have a little more significant rotation going on there.

It is easier (for me) to tell just how much rotation there is when the coin is set in a 2X2 with some staples. Then when you flip it over, the staples become the reference points.

The premium value depends upon the degree of rotation and the condition of the coin. Your coin is quite worn and I am uncertain about the rotation. The value of error coins seems to be all over the place so it's hard to guess the value with any real certainty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rotation appears to be 50░ +/- ccw if I'máseeing it correctly
Edited by Cascade
08/16/2015 4:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53738 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt it would have any added value in this condition.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rotated reverses are common on buffalos. No added value, sorry.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3753 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A number of Buffalo dates illustrate rotated dies. As an avid collector of this series for many years, the most commonly seen years were 1913, 1914 and 1924-D. While some collectors may pay a premium for these, more so likely in higher grades it seems to me, this is by no means common practice. The rotation anomaly is one that all too often feigns rarity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20023 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certain coins are famous for this. Those Nickels and Mercury dimes. Both show many such rotations. Oddly enough, they are not noticed to much except in Albums or 2x2 flips. And many places that list errors, such as in the Red Book, such rotations are not even mentioned. Some collectors do not even want them and in such instances a dealer may have to drop his price due to such rotations. There are those that do collect error coins and may pay if the rotation is sufficient.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3753 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2015  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl ... I never gave thought to the Red Book not mentioning die rotations. What dates of Mercury dimes do you most commonly see with some die rotation? I seem to recall once seeing a 1925-D. I've seen many Buffalo nickels and Lincolns and other copper coins with 90 degree rotations, but not yet a Mercury dime with so near as much turn to it.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2015  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlabamaDan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the info.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20023 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2015  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Carl ... I never gave thought to the Red Book not mentioning die rotations. What dates of Mercury dimes do you most commonly see with some die rotation?

As to the Red Book starting on page 421 there is a decent list of different types of Mint Errors. The following pages have some examples too.
As to which Mercury dimes. I have approximately 3,000 of them. Now just finishing Album #12. Looking at the rear of the pages in those Albums, I'd guess approximately 25% of those Dimes have some Rotation. Some are minor, some drastic. Some are rotated to the Left, some to the Right. Usually most people don't notice such rotations since looking at a coin, flipping it over, it is difficult to notice if the rotation is correct. If you spend the time making sure all Obverses are straight up and down in an Album, then a turn of the page makes it more obvious.
And as I've said, some dealers have a difficult time selling such coins.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,609Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05