Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Most Beautiful Modern(ish) Circulation Coin  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Certainly for some French colonial issues it seems that the aluminium only complements them. Lucien Bazor was quite the designer

I agree, january1may. I must say I like that Freench Polynesia design from a few posts ago the best, with shells, palm trees and boats. Makes me crave a vacation
Edited by tdziemia
02/13/2018 09:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
538 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another of my "beautiful" coins. A West German 5 Mark piece of 1969, minted in Munich (D mintmark).
I think this coin is just such a classic example of simplicity and beauty. I particularly like the stylised eagle.
The edge of the coin also has the phrase "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" (Unity, Justice and Freedom) written on it.

Squire

Learn More...
United States
56890 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2040 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this 10 Piastres piece from Lebanon is pretty.

The Cedar tree on the reverse is cool.

http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picking up a Shilling today and it's a pretty nice coin.
Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Edited by shotgung
02/15/2018 08:17 am
Learn More...
United States
56890 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think this 10 Piastres piece from Lebanon is pretty.

The Cedar tree on the reverse is cool.
Very nice!

Quote:
Picking up a Shilling today and it's a pretty nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Sweden
936 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add X2an to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will actually say that I don't think the silver 5 DM is that pretty. The obverse design simply contains an eagle with noting else on it, the reverse simply contains lettering. I was actually a bit horrified at how bad I thought it looked. Though, that's my opinion. Perhaps there's beauty in its simplicity?

One of the coins I'm also surprised hasn't shown up here is the somewhat new Uruguayan 10 Peso coins:

Quite spectacular, isn't it? Rays can make any design look amazing.

Another new series that I'd very much like to have is the new Seychelles coin series. A coin not only being an odd shape, but also being bimetallic really adds to the look of a coin.

Lastly, I feel like I must add the new UK £2. I really like the new depiction of Brittania. Although I highly critizice the removal of the latent image from what used to be the centre, the new design makes up for it until you get handed a fake.
"Always assume the lowest in value for best possibilities"
Learn More...
United States
56890 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps there's beauty in its simplicity?
Yes.

Quote:
Another new series that I'd very much like to have is the new Seychelles coin series. A coin not only being an odd shape, but also being bimetallic really adds to the look of a coin.
That does look attractive.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
538 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments jbuck and X2an
Aside from the simplicity of the designs on the German 5 Mark coin I also like:
The symmetry of the designs on the obverse and reverse of the coin.
The stylised eagle.
The way that the draughtsman style lettering is arranged on the reverse. To me the layout of the lettering has an artistic quality about it.
I understand that what is beautiful and "speaks" to one person may leave another person "cold". That is because "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I have attached another "beautiful" coin from my collection, from a "heroic age". I think the eagle design is very "noble", and I think that John F Kennedy was an inspired president - a real "World Leader".
I find his Cold War speech "Ich bin ein Berliner" to the besieged citizens of West Berlin really inspiring. Of human solidarity cutting right across national boundaries.
And his speech "I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to earth" sends a shiver down my spine.
So the coin owes a part of its beauty from its origin - from out of a heroic age...

Squire

Edited by Squire Wilson
02/15/2018 4:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
56890 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have attached another "beautiful" coin from my collection, from a "heroic age"...
I can dig it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just picked up this Shilling and really liked the detail and design.

Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In another life, I was involved in a thread only on palm tree images on coins .

Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will actually say that I don't think the silver 5 DM is that pretty. The obverse design simply contains an eagle with noting else on it

I am not sure the designer intended it, but the simple eagle design harkens back to coin designs from 500 years earlier in central Europe, which are being discussed in another thread on this forum:
http://goccf.com/t/308457

That doesn';t reflect on the coin's beauty, but I like the historical connection, whether intended or not.

Edited by tdziemia
02/15/2018 8:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
538 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Squire Wilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks tdziemia
I love the similarity of the modern eagle on the 5 mark coin to middle age eagle designs.
Supposedly the modern "Bundesadler" (Federal Eagle) design was developed by Karl Tobias Schwab and originally introduced in 1928. However, perhaps the designer drew upon the great depth of German history in his inspiration...

Squire
Edited by Squire Wilson
02/15/2018 10:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2040 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surprised that no one has brought up Canada’s 2017 Anniversary makeover. The dime reverse is beautiful. (Nothing against the Queen)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces105411.html
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05