Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do Banks In Canada Stock 50 Cent Pieces?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 7,085Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2015  9:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mehguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do canadian banks usually order them?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4222 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2015  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. They're no longer intended for circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2015  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember when the banks actually stocked 50 cent pieces at all. Have the banks ever stocked 50 cent pieces since they were nickel issues.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4737 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2015  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the days like 1967 50 cents were issued through the banking system, I believe.
Valued Member
Canada
174 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xd99xd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been in a bank that they said they could order 50c's.
Most of the time I just ask at the counter if they have any on hand.
Edited by xd99xd
10/12/2015 12:18 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5637 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will only get .50 pieces at a bank IF someone has turned in ones that they have saved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1747 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
xd99xd, no bank can order silver dollars or 50 cent pieces as they are not intended for circulation, banks/credit unions can only order regular circulation coins. Some of the larger banks can sell RCM collector coins, or bullion coins, but not 50 cents.

the only way the bank gets these is if someone comes in and cashes them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1747 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AgCoinAu, the last 50 cent coin intended for circulation was the 2002 jubilee coin, however someone's brilliant idea to circulate these was to give them to the post offices, not the banks (I don't understand this thinking) so I have found some banks that actually have these from someone's collection still mint sealed (and I mean lots of these)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2436 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, no. A few times when I asked if they have any in the branch and they don't have any, they mentioned that they can't order any 50 cent pieces or large dollars, but they have to return them ASAP when someone turns them in. Same thing goes for NCLT and silver.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1747 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that rule is law, and is perhaps just the bank managers rule. I know about 15 banks that have silver dollars/50 cent pieces as I am writing this. Normally the banks will hold these and hope that a collector will ask about them, and they can sell them.

Remember it cost the bank $$ to ship out coins, so they ultimately want to ship out as little as possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I visited two Canadian banks a couple of weeks ago, I asked if they had ANY fifty cent coins or pre-loonie dollar coins (post 1968 clads) and both told me they NEVER have either one. I got six rolls of loonies and twonies, but I guess I have to overpay to get any fifty centers for my albums.
I am told that almost all Canadian clad 50-cent, 1 dollar, and 2 dollar coins are just worth face value, but the only way I can get any is to pay 2,3, or 4 times face. Uggh!!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2436 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2015  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
perhaps just the bank managers rule

Most likely it is. Smaller branches are usually more willing to let me buy the "odd" coins and older bills (and also more likely to say they will hold on to them for me if they come in) than larger branches are. Large branches say they ship them off at the end of the day.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Pillar of the Community
Canada
827 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, you might get better (more) responses if this were transferred to the Canadian Coin section.

I agree with the one poster who said that since 2002 it is basically just through the mint or coin dealers who purchased through the mint, that you could get current year 50 cent pieces. You can find them mint on eBay for past years.

From time to time I go into my local branch bank and pick up thirty or forty fifty cent pieces that have been dropped off. They are always nickel and usually circulated (slightly) from the years 1968 to the early 1990s.

When I ran a retail store in the 1980s I'd sometimes go into the bank and get a roll of 50 cent pieces as they were stocked then, just not widely circulated. I'd give them out in change just for fun. People would do a double take when they expected to get back three quarters and only got two coins in return - one of them being a fifty cent piece.
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mehguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well could a mod move it to the Canadian coin section?
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
634 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you visit a bank branch ask the teller if they have any 50 cent pieces. Some branches might save them for you if you are a regular customer.
Edited by Alex A
10/14/2015 10:34 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 7,085Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05