Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Did The Sacagawea Dollar Change Names?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
656 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  9:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is now called Native American dollar. When was the name change? It still has the same front so I still call it Sacagawea dollar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still call it the sac/Sacajawea. Not sure if other people have done differently.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack316 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, ckrakowski. Originally, this dollar coin was called the Sacagawea dollar. That name remained from inception in 2000, through 2008. All of those issues carried the same eagle in flight reverse. Beginning in 2009, these coins were re-designated Native American dollars and a new reverse was minted for each subsequent year (2009 - present).
These new reverse designs were meant to honor Native American contributions to America, such as (2009) Three Sisters, (2010) Great Law of Peace, (2011) Wampanoag Treaty, etc. The obverse is consistent throughout the series which is the depiction of Sacagawea and her infant son Jean Baptiste.

I hope this answers your question. Not sure I did a great job of explaining. Jack
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2015  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The name changed for most people with the different reverses.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're nice coins, I wish they had caught on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did a great job explaining it Jack~! I collect these for my Dansco and enjoy the different reverses every year.
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They're nice coins, I wish they had caught on.
Kill off the one dollar note and they will.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2015  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperCastle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck has alot of great ideas. jbuck 4 PREZ 2016!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5048 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2015  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck has alot of great ideas. jbuck 4 PREZ 2016!

You know anyone running for president had better have been born perfect and never even spit on a sidewalk. If you are even trying to become your parties nominee the media will dig up anything they can on you no matter how useless or non relevant it may be.

That being said let's see your candidate jbucks dollar coin set
Edited by jack jeckel
10/16/2015 9:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10212 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2015  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one wants to see my skeletons.

Have you seen the news lately? Skeletons are their bread and butter.
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2015  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Skeletons are their bread and butter.
Yes, for the opposition.

If and when I am elected Emperor, there will be sweeping changes.

Cent and nickels... Out!

Dimes... Keep on being dimes.

Quarters... Phased out after ATB concludes!

Half Dollars... Coming back... Smaller, golden!

Dollar notes out... Dollar coins in!

Two Dollar notes phased out... Bi-metallic "Toonie clones" coming in!

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaSlayer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still call them Sacajawea dollars.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05