Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S Lincoln Double Ear?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,460Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  11:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 224 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At the ear lobe there is a portion extended out from the bottom. The right side (outer ear) shows some thickness also. The liberty is also showing some doubling at the BERTY. I could not get a clear picture of the Liberty. I am still trying to get clear pictures of the whole coin was just to excited to have someone else look at the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't think this is a doubled ear variety. It looks like it may have taken a hit on the lobe. I see many coins with this damage and it does sometimes look convincing. An overlay of a normal, undamaged coin of the same year and mint will usually show that the lobe is the same size, which means it is just damaged and not a doubled die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tweak800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend an overlay to the ear does appear to be a bit smaller than normal so it probably took a hit or is some sort of MD. Just like the poster before me I have fallen victim to the same thing before
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50108 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a side by side of another year.

Hits and machine damage (ejection damage) will hit the higher parts of the profile or if the mint mark is punched too deeply into the die, this can be a problem for the coin during ejection from the chamber.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/24/2015 01:21 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 224 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking, there are a lot of nice errors out there waiting to be found!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38503 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And even more varieties,good luck with your hunt.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50108 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2015  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of a few of the known doubled ears:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rjayy23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a 1969 S with the exact mark on its ear

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rjayy23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50108 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On a doubled ear, it will appear raised on the design or on the fields. If it is lower, there is a big chance it is damage to coin. Enlarge the images below and note how on all of the doubled ears, the is a spread and it stands above the design. (not below the normal design, like your coin does)
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05