Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looked Pretty Good In The Teller's Tray.....

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  12:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I asked a B of A teller for half dollars and she offered me "some of those big dollars" that she had on her tray. I could see three Eisenhowers plus what looked like a Morgan dollar. Casually I agreed to take them off her hands. Now, what is the LEAST likely date to turn up when finding a Morgan dollar in circulation? Possibly, this one?

Clearly, an authentic $20,000 coin purchased for just $1.00!

Too bad about the light weight (< 20 grams) and the fact that it sticks to a magnet. Reeding and denticles don't look too bad, and the date digits don't look as clownish as on many fake Morgans. Obverse details are a little blurry but color and luster are a fair approximation of what you might see on a genuine AU silver dollar. There are even some strong die clash marks on the reverse which I've heard are not common on counterfeits. If this coin had been struck on a full-weight 90% silver planchet it might have been pretty deceptive.

I don't have a "black cabinet" but maybe this piece would make a good start. Worth every cent I paid!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh boy was like winning a mega bucks lottery only to find out your friend printed the ticket or what
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to think of how that ended up in a bank teller's drawer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least look at the bright side. $1 is still cheaper than from the no-no site.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1351 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet your heart missed a beat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only great for the price you paid but you've taken another one out of circulation for good! How about letting us see the Ikes!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow man that would have been super exciting at first! Still pretty sweet!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9192 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice counterfeit Morgan and like you said, very uncommon with the dies clashed. I can even see the E below the tail feathers.
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichioKaku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man...
Edited by MichioKaku
12/07/2015 2:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46101 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16646 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice way to start your 'black' collection.

There is no mint luster to be seen.
I wouldn't have picked it straight off from the pictures only, but now that you say that is IS a fake,
the fields indicate to me that this piece has been pressure cast.
If this this one had appeared on eBay, it would have deceived lots of buyers, if the weight, diameter and ring tone had been OK.

That is why I always like to examine a coin 'in hand' before making a decision to buy, unless the seller has an established reputation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It immediately fails the denticle test. For a coin worth $20k, you'd think every potential buyer would do some basic research. But of course greed is a strong motivator.

http://www.anacs.com/%28A%28PHN4gYx...e.aspx?ID=48

Quote:
All Morgan dollars minted from 1879 to 1904 have the point of the truncation of Liberty's bust located over the space between two border denticles. Counting denticles from this reference point, the left edge of the base of the digit 1 is located over the right half of the third denticle. The right edge of the base of the 1 is over the left half of the fifth denticle (RH3 LH5).

I'm still curious under what scenarios it could have ended up at a bank. Somebody realized it was fake and decided to at least get $1 out of it by spending it? Dropped it in a Salvation Army bucket?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, couldn't the bank get into trouble selling a counterfeit? I guess it would have to be knowingly selling one, at least.

The obverse gave it away for me. The detail is very crude, absolutely trash. Looks like a modern Chinese replica, preferably 21st century.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2798 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is amazing. You actually found a counterfeit 1893-S Morgan dollar at a bank. Just crazy. Any pics of the Ikes?
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2015  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I assume you won't report the bank for passing counterfeit money :-)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05