Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948 Silver Dollar What Should I Do?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 4,073Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  10:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently bought a collection of UNC silver dollars. Some have a light film in some areas of the coins. You can see it on the reverse of this 1948 at the bottom. I know it will come off as I swabbed - gently, using water and a soft cloth on a similary affected 1950 coin just to see if it could be done. It took 5 to seven one way motion swabs to do it. I'd like to send the 1948 to ICCS. Should I swab it before it's sent? Will they detect that I've done that and mark it cleaned? I'd love to swab this coin but I'm afraid I'll damage its value. Your thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8850 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let soak in pure acetone for five minutes.
Rinse with clean acetone.
Do not wipe, rub or scrub.
Be careful and use only in a well ventilated area.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Can't get better advice than that.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information! Will the treatment then get me to ICCS without a cleaning comment coming back on the flip?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8850 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
Acetone will not harm the coin.
Wiping rubbing or scrubbing can leave fine marks on the coin, inviting a negative comment.
Use the purest acetone you can get your hands on, do not use nail polish remover under any circumstances.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
03/11/2016 11:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, thanks again! I am going to try it! I do want to send it off but as it is the discolouration is a turn-off. Enjoy your weekend!
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10743 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM has give you excellent advice, follow it.!!
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2402 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't touch it.

Furthermore, NEVER wipe a coin.

ICCS doesn't penalize you on this coin's appearance, that's why I say not to touch it.

If going to PCGS then I would follow DBM's acetone bath advice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4270 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2016  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That whitish or yellowish scummy appearance happens a lot on coinage of the 1940 and 1950s and does not really come off that easy if at all. I agree with DE don't touch it ,you cannot in all likelihood help this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the value added by having the coin graded and slabbed. It's clearly an UNC, with the finish issue seen. What is it's value now and what it it's value once slabbed? Is the unrealized gain worth the real expense?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4830 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if the acetone doesn't make it come off, perhaps send it to NGC or PCGS for professional conservation.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 22 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Edited by thedollarman
03/16/2016 10:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4270 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth it to send in , cost at least a hundred plus US . If I owned that 48 I would blow it off and find a problem free example.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10743 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I owned that 48 I would blow it off and find a problem free example.

Gee, Jack, everyone hasn't got tons of money like you..
I'm sure it's a nice enough example for us poor folk.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4270 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shafts , that's a good one! Heck I am broke living on my large inventory and getting my meagrely pensions monthly . !!
To clarify though , it would probably be a wash as to sending that coin to NCS for conservation or paying for a slight upgrade.
A lot of times a collector can work with a select few dealers and upgrade quite reasonably over time. Remember key dates in any grade will always find some sort of a market.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
576 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried the acetone. Didn't touch it. A local guy says a silver dip would take it off. He's done that before he says and had dollars easily pass at ICCS. But I think I'm at the end of the road here and will just send it in as is to see what they grade it as. But thanks for all your suggestions!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4270 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tamarin the dealer is telling you a story full of horse feathers. The reason this white milky stuff does not come off is because it is on the blank (improperly prepared before striking) itself. Almost the same as US Peace dollars of the 1920s and modern Maple Leafs of some years.
There is Nothing that will make your coin better. It is indeed a serious issue and very common on silver coins of the 1940s and 1950s.
I have a 1945 half otherwise Gem ( ICCS graded MS65 3 letter) that you couldn't give away it is so ugly .
Edited by Pacificoin
03/18/2016 11:42 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 4,073Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: