Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Search For On The Memorial Reverse To Spot A Doubled Die Reverse

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  10:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How to find doubled dies on the Memorial design

Did you realize they struck 445,291,093,531 Memorial cents. The largest group so far with that design. So looking for doubled dies can be harder because of the design change from the Wheat design to this new design. The 1909 cents started off with 100 years after Lincoln's Birth year. The 1959 year was 100 years after Lincoln became President. The series ran from 1959-2008. Starting with two mint operating and then in 1965 the San Francisco Mint went back into production and struck business strike cents (220030000 without the 'S' mint mark) and also the SMS (1965= 2,360,000 - 1966= 2,261,583 - 1967= 1,863,344) . In 1968 they added the mint marks to the coinage again. So the Business strike coins continued from 1968-1974. (4,000,521,526 Proof and Business Strike cents)
So there are many coins to search. The Memorial reverses had some big years for the DDRs. So lets see what area to look for on the Memorial DDR reverses.

U.S.A:

Minor:

Probably the strongest DDR for the series:

UNITED:

Minor:

STATES:

OF:

Minor DDR:

AMERICA:

Minor DDR:

EPU:

Minor DDR:

Note the vertical spread on the next two images. One is stronger than the other one:

FG:

ONE CENT:

Minor:

ONE:

CENT: Varies from extremely minor (probably never to be listed) to very strong examples we love:

BASELINE:

CORNICE DOUBLING:

STEPS:

WAVY STEPS:

TRAIL DIES:

YEAR VARIETY: RDV-005 and 006 for 1988.

BAR CENTS DDR:

1998-2000 have the Years Varieties of Wide AM and Close AM wrong reverses.

Some proof reverses were also incorrect on the 1998 & 1999 proof cents.

Keep in mind the multi hubbed dies and the single squeeze dies do have doubled dies in different areas. The multi-hubbed dies tend to affect the outside edge devices more. The single squeeze dies tend to affect the center of the die more and rarely affect the outside edge devices. Hope this helps.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4205 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very educational
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Good tutorial.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2042 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another fine post. Thank you Coop.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5016 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another interesting read, thanks Coop.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the "trails and wavy steps" mentioned on this thread. But they are not a doubled die, they are a different type of variety. A doubled die is caused by hub device transfer. On these they are a bit different than a transfer. More of a cause of slide movement by the hub altering certain parts during this process of die creation. BJ could explain this better. I put them on this thread as they are collectable dies coins, just not the same as a doubled die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavy_...s_and_trails
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
04/02/2016 10:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As are the WAMs and CAMs; all part of the LMC family.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2016  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I added them as well, but they also are not hub doubled examples. They are year varieties. As well as the RDVs. But I wanted to keep the thought going about being collectables.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2016  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi coop earlier in this post you mentioned about the WAM/CAM variety. You said the the 1998-S should be WAM - How about the 1999-S, should it be a WAM or CAM?

"Some proof reverses were also incorrect on the 1998 & 1999 proof cents"

Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2016  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both should be wide AM, but a few were hubbed with the close AM for both years. 1998-S and 1999-S. The 1999-S is more known, but the 98-S are the sleepers. (not many know of this yet)
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
3560 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2016  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop and thanks for sharing the great tip on the proof CAMs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2016  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop thread RSC

Added this to make searching easier.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2016  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ross Son to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,

Joined the forum today and just looking for some advice on coin variety errors.

I took a picture of this 1975 D penny because I felt like it showed a lot of errors, but I could be wrong, maybe the coin is just damaged, right?

The green lines represent what I believe to be double dies and the red line what I believe it was a weak struck.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43335 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2016  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like contact marks on the outside devices from circulation. The extra columns bay 5 & 7 are part of the design of the Memorial reverses.

When the dies are polished, this area can be affected by removing parts or all of the extra columns that make the image look 3-D.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2016  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ross Son to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mr Coop! I appreciate your assistance and the quick reply.

The information contained here is extremely useful, which got me to do more research and came across this website.

http://doubleddie.com/1801.html

In there I found out about other forms of doubling under "Worthless Doubling", that are considered worthless, and I think it can easily lead someone to think that they have a valuable case of DDO or DDR in their hands, when in fact, it is not. Please see some examples below.

Could you please provide more information to help differentiate genuine errors against mechanical, deteriorating dies and abrasion? I can't differentiate most of the pictures shown in the website, especially the mechanical ones.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05