Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

28 Weeks: 28 Centuries Of Coins

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2016  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a coin that is a little different from some of the other 16th century posts so far: a 16 Sols from Masstricht Belgium. The attribution is VGN-154 and this coin has a bit of heft to it (34 mm and 9.7 g). It was minted in 1579 when I believe that the city was under siege by Alex Farnese, the Duke of Parma. Evidently Farnese was quite good at waging war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa...uke_of_Parma

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
05/23/2016 9:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2016  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another 16th Century coin, this one from Geneva, a Swiss Canton. It is a 1 Sol from 1551. I find it interesting that Geneva had the same coinage denominations as Belgium at this time. They are, after all, pretty close geographically. The obv legend is GENEVA CIVITAS 1551 and the rev legend is POST TENEBRAS LUX G. The attribution is HMZ 2-303L and yes the obv definitely has some scratches/graffiti. It seems to be evidence of a prior owner wanting to "improve" the coin by highlighting some of the details.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2016  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just in time for this century :
Spanish Netherlands :
Philippe II : 1558 - 1598 , double liard/dubbel oord :
obv:PHS.D.G.HIS.Z.REX.DUX.B.1592
rev : DOMINUS MIHI ADIUTOR
25 mm , 5.2 gr,3h ;

and the classical coin of Hungary :
Vladislas II 1490-1516 .
obv : VLADISLAI.UNGARI.1510
rev : PATRONA.UNGARIE / KG
15 mm , 0.59gr , 12 h . albert

Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just in time for this century
Glad you could make it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1910 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 Cuartos from Spain

1502 Brandenburg Grosso

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jgenn, that wildman is gorgeous!
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@jgenn, that wildman is gorgeous!

Thanks, dspenciner. This type is know as the "Brillenthaler" for the spectacles hanging from the wildman's hourglass. It's quite rich in symbolism. I prefer to post my own photos but this coin is difficult to capture under the plastic. The photo I posted is my exact coin but from the NGC price guide, taken before the coin was encapsulated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Brillenthaler"--interesting name indeed. I hadn't noticed the pince-nez because I was in awe of the hairy detail.
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
05/27/2016 9:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2650 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might as well post my remaining already-photographed 16th century coin...

Ivan IV (the Terrible), sword/saber (description varies) wire denga, Grand Prince legend version, circa 1535-1547. 10x11mm, 0.3g, silver.
Moscow mint, but you wouldn't know that if you don't look it up in a catalog. (Kleshchinov-Grishin 43, incidentally.)
A denga, for the record, is a half kopek (perhaps it is more correct to say, at least for the period in question, that a kopek is a double denga).

As always, sorry for the photo quality. It was January 5, 2013, and I was in a hurry (to enter yet another smackdown - here's my post).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5627 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2016  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice one from a very famous ruler, January!

My contributions are going to be very scant from here until we get back to the Roman era. Maybe we should drop a shout-out to the folks in the Ancients sub forum so we don't struggle for the next few months?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2016  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that we drop down to the 15th century tomorrow, but I couldn't resist one final coin from the 16th century. I picked a 1 Albus from Trier, a German Archishopric. Appropriately, it is dated from the end of the century (1599 to be exact). The attribution is Saurma #2665 and Krause KM #A8. It has some issues (such as being much more worn on the obv than the rev), but I really liked the detail on the rev--including the die cracks.

I'm looking forward to our new century in a couple hours!

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Week 7: 15th century 1400-1499 (5/29-6/4)

This is where we can finally see some of the coins that have been just out of reach on the stalled HFBCWG threads.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2016  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To get us started, here is a 1420 groschen of Aachen, along with the link to my previous write-up. You may notice that this is my avatar.

http://goccf.com/t/253518

-----King Adz
Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05