Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Presevation And Storage

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  1:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add alienuser to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings All!

Sorry for the windy question. I'm new to the coin collectors realm and came to the Community in search of some information. Unfortunately, the answer isn't jumping out for me so I'll post the question for the experts and hopefully it will not be a repeat.

I'm collecting Morgan silver dollars and have accumulated quite a few. They have come to me stapled in the cardboard 2x2 containers, zip lock bags, wrapped in paper... you name it. I do have a couple of MS graded coins in the hard plastic containers as well.

The question is this: Am I shooting myself in the foot if I remove the coins from the 2x2s and place them in a Whitman classic binder? I'm confident that the move from baggies and paper wraps to the binder is a good move but am not sure about the cardboard 2x2s. They really don't seem to offer much protection to the coin from what I can tell.

A lot of the coins have been "graded" by someone and have hand written notes on the margins describing the condition of the coin (Fine, AUT, XF etc.). FWIW, they are all circulated coins but in good condition. I guess my biggest hang up is that anybody can write anything on these paper holders so I don't have as much faith in them as I do in the for the ones in the sealed, hard plastic shells. Any feedback from the experienced collectors would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Coin Community Forum!

I would keep the coins in the "hard plastic containers" in the slabs. They are worth more money that way, depending on which company graded them and what the grades are. What type of binder is it? Usually the coin binders are meant for people to insert coins already in cardboard 2x2s into them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me, I like the 2x2's and don't use albums very much, but if you like the album, go for it.

The 2x2 is minimal protection, probably a hair more than the album but with the risk of staple points contacting other coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9193 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only problem I've seen with cardboard 2x2's with a mylar window is if they get a pinhole the coin will develop a pinpoint tone or carbon spot especially if not stored in optimum conditions (low humidity). I've been using Whitman plastic 2x2's for many years especially for raw Morgans with no issues whatsoever.

and to CCF!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1253 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Also take care if you're removing coins from stapled 2x2s.

I was doing that awhile back, and I made the mistake of pulling the coin out under a staple. That little bit of metal put a long scratch into the surface of a Morgan dollar.

Luckily, it was not one valued much over melt on account of a horrible cleaning, but it did teach me to take more care.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19177 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I keep almost all my coins in Whitman Classic type Albums. Not the Folders though, the Albums. I've had mo problems doing this for a long, long time. The main thing to remember, regardless of Album Brand name, is to put them in a gallon sized Zip Lock bag for storage.
just carl
Edited by just carl
05/01/2016 4:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16340 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not put those into a folder/album. They just don't offer enough protection. I'd leave them in 2x2's and I'd store those in a freezer type ziplock.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many is a lot of dollars. 50 ... or 500?

There are a lot of options. One thing is, coins should be
stored in a humidly controlled environment.

If you have hundreds, coin tubes and coin boxes might work.

As mentioned 2X2's are great, just make sure they are in good
shape. Then they can be stored in Albums.

Or the 2X2's could be put into coin boxes. Made for 2X2's

Dansco albums are popular

Edited by GR58
05/01/2016 5:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really want to protect? Air tights in air tight tubes. Most of my proofs are stored this way.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2016  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alienuser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thank you all for the terrific advice! I've already seen holes in in some of the Mylar windows as dave700x describes. The books I have look very similar to the ones that GR58 (Fantastic collection by the way!) has shared with the group; I received heavy duty clear plastic inserts that are inserted into the page and they essentially sandwich the coin so that you can see the front an back. Based on the feedback I've received, I'm going to move my coins from the 2x2s into the book and then stuff the books into zip-lock bags as several folks suggested and I'll leave the hard plastic cases alone as ChildOfTheWheate suggests. Again, great tips and advice from all of you; thank you!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
556 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooooo good call on the air tights, I forgot all about those!

Now to calculate the price....for science! lol
Have a great day!

Want list: http://goccf.com/t/347082

My collections:
OFEC (One from every century) http://goccf.com/t/322232#2825498
BU Jefferson 1938-present, BU Sacajawea, Circulated US Date set 1776 - present
Pillar of the Community
United States
1472 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  07:12 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GR(5)8 post!
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nicely organized, GR58. I am in envy.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bargain Coin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend air tite holders for protection, and Dansco albums for appearance.
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using Dansco albums for well over thirty years. No problems, no complaints. It is my personal preference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6223 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2016  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you live in an area where there is humidity, be aware cardboard will likely absorb moisture from the air. So if you opt for a storage method in which cardboard will touch your coins, you may be asking for problems.

The Whitman folders (push-a-coin-in-the-hole) caused me lose a lot of nice coins even though I had them stored away (years ago) in a manner I thought was airtight. The culprit was likely residual moisture in the cardboard and/or the glue Whitman used. Quite a few coins lost all luster on their reverse sides.

I have read (not personal experience) albums can tone coins. For silver coins, this simply means they are tarnishing. The colors toning might produce can be beautiful, so some collectors desire it.

My guess (note that word) is albums that tone coins might not be being stored w/desiccant and/or in zip lock bags. Remember even in albums, coins are in contact with cardboard around their perimeter.

I prefer blast white coins, and I don't want toning, I am working towards getting coins with luster away from contact with all cardboard. However, where luster is not the issue, my preference is albums.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05