Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Dollar Derivatives: Part VII - 1993 Stanley Cup PNC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,841Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2016  7:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A few years ago, I posted about several of the special packaging options the RCM had used for its NLCT commemorative silver dollars - sets the Charlton catalogue refers to as "derivatives." If you're interested, here are links to these posts:

1997 Canada-Russia Hockey Gift Set

1997 Canada-Russia Hockey Stamp Set

1997 Canada-Russia Hockey Coin & Pin Set

1998 RCMP Centennial Dollar & Pin Set

1999 Juan Perez Journal Set

1999 Juan Perez Coin & Pin Set

I recently became aware of two additional special sets that were not listed in my 2011 edition of the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins - Collector and Maple Leaf Issues.

Tonight, I'll present the earliest release of the two - the 1993 Stanley Cup Centennial Philatelic-Numismatic Cover (PNC) jointly produced by Canada Post and the Royal Canadian Mint.

In 1993, the hockey world celebrated the centennial of the first awarding of the championship trophy that would ultimately become known as the Stanley Cup (its original name was the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup). The trophy was donated by Sir Frederick Arthur Stanley, Lord Stanley of Preston, in 1892 with the intent that it be awarded to Canada's national amateur hockey champion.

The first team to receive the trophy was the Montreal Hockey Club of the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association. They finished the 1893 season atop Canada's Amateur Hockey Association (AHA) standings with a record of 7-1-0. The Montreal club successfully defended "the Cup" in 1894 by besting the Montreal Victorias 3-2 and the Ottawa Generals 3-1 in successive "playoff" games after the regular season ended in a four-team tie.

In 1910, awarding of the Stanley cup became the purview of the National Hockey Association (NHA), one of Canada's early professional hockey leagues. The NHA is the direct forerunner of the National Hockey League (NHL) which was formed in 1917. The Montreal Canadiens were launched as a member of the NHA.

Until 1926, teams from the top Canadian professional hockey leagues were eligible to compete and challenge for the Cup. Since 1926, however, only member clubs of the NHL are eligible to win the Stanley Cup.

In 1993, the Cup's centennial was celebrated by Canada Post (CP) and the Royal Canadian Mint ( RCM) with a commemorative stamp and silver dollar, respectively.

The 43-cent stamp depicts an anonymous modern hockey team hoisting the Stanley Cup in triumph. The coin features a then-and-now design theme with a depiction of an 1893-era hockey player and an early version of the Cup in the background with current (circa 1993) views of a player and the Cup in the foreground; it was designed by Stewart Sherwood. The silver dollar is 36.07 mm in diameter, weighs 25.175 grams and is sterling silver (0.925 fine silver).

Foreshadowing future collaboration, the two worked together to create a special edition philatelic-numismatic cover that was released on the first day of issue for the commemorative $0.43 stamp. The cover features a proof version of the silver dollar inserted into an envelope that features an image of the original cup along with the CP stamp and a special first-day-of-issue postmark. The back of the cover features a brief history of the Stanley Cup.

The current Charlton does not list a production total or original selling price for the cover. The same two data points have thus far eluded my additional search efforts. If someone out there has this information, I would welcome hearing about it!

Otherwise, enjoy!

1993 Stanley Cup Centennial Official First Day of Issue PNC - Front

1993 Stanley Cup Centennial Official First Day of Issue PNC - Back

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2016  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell from all the comments posted in this thread , that many folks are on the edge of their seats waiting for any updates I might be able to provide!

Well, while looking through the 2016 edition of Charlton earlier today, I found that it now lists an original selling price for this cover -- it was sold for $28.95.

Please, no applause! I'm happy to provide the update.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/21/2016 8:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2016  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome history in these topics Commems. I have collected a few PNC's from RMC and CP,
the quality of the proof coins in your example above is quite fine. I like the Russia/Canada
Hockey Pin set.

Cheers Commems

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2016  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one appreciate the story told.
Well done commens!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,841Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05