Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wild Man Sighting And A Challenge To Post Yours

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,328Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  12:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This past week I was travelling in Europe and happened to find myself in Waldshut Germany. Anyway, I was surprised to look up at a building on the main street of this village and see an image of the Wild Man—I've posted a pic below. Seems I cannot get away from numismatics even if I try.

As many of you may know, the Wild Man is used as a design element for coins from various City States of Germany (e.g. Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel and Brunswick-Luneburg-Callenberg). In doing a little "research" on Wikipedia, it seems that the Wildman was used as a symbol of mining in Germany during the late medieval and Renaissance time periods. "The town of Wildemann in the Upper Harz was founded in 1529 by miners who, according to legend, met a wild man and wife when they ventured into the wilds of the Harz range." The Wild Man appears in both artwork and literature and is typically shown to be nearly naked, but with a thick coat of hair. In this way, the Wild Man is similar to a satyr or faun in Greek Mythology.

If you are interested in a little additional reading on the Wild Man, I recommend looking here:

http://coinsite.com/wildman-vilda-hiya-coinage/

Also, someone has started a NGC Registry Set of their Wildmen:

https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=20282

So here is my challenge to you: post pics of your coins with a Wildman or Wildmen on them. In looking through my collection, I can find eight examples—all copper except for one in silver. That is the coin in the pics below: a 12 Marien-groschen minted for Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel in 1705.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
07/04/2016 12:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5940 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure that's not a slimmed down, nudist Santa on your coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1908 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Wildman is one of my favorite motifs in all of numismatics, someone sent me a link to a great scholarly article about hte history of the Wildman I will post when I can dig through my email...

Some of my favorite Wildman designs are on metal Notgeld issues, and the ones with the Wildman and tree are always really neat, especially on silver pieces
Learn More...
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
slimmed down, nudist Santa

Quote:
link to a great scholarly article about the history of the Wildman I will post when I can dig through my email...

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
07/04/2016 1:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1908 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Article may have been a bit of an understatement, it's closer to a book...

https://books.google.com/books?id=L...ge&q&f=false

Enjoy!
Valued Member
Germany
303 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potsdam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I do not collect coins from Brunswick (only some Saxon duchies and Prussian coins) I enjoy looking at them. I know that there is a Prussian Thaler though, minted around 1800 that shows two persons looking like wildmen to me.

However, nice coin :)
Learn More...
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jdmern, super link. Good reading for on the plane!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's wild, man.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2016  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GEKO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is something interesting.

There are records of a man born in 1547 with hypertrichosis.
Wiki has a bit of info on him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrus_Gonsalvus

He was quite an attraction and some of his childen where given away to dukes in europe as pets
Petrus Gonsalvus was not considered fully human and the people where fascinated to see someone who looked as if he is bridging the gap between animal and human.

Netflix still has a documentary about him online.
Its called The real beauty and the beast
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1185 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2016  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wildman figures also on medals. I ll post some pics of 19 th century medals when I am back home.albert
Learn More...
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2016  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I ll post some pics of 19 th century medals when I am back home

Sounds great!

In the meanwhile, here is a pfennig from Brunswick-Luneburg-Callenberg. It is dated 1780 and contains the mintmaster initials CES. It looks to me like this coin has spent considerable time in the ground.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2016  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 24 Mariengroschen which is up for sale.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2016  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
<BR><BR>
Learn More...
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2016  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great wildmen!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1185 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2016  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

as promised, here is my Wildman .

I believe it is a proof ,made by the artist on tin , the reverse is blank with rests of paper .
The medal is made by François de Hondt , an artist from Bruges (Belgium , 1786-1862 ). He made this medal in 1828 , 2 years before the independence of Belgium , for the Royal School of Fine Arts in 'sHertogenbosch , now in the Netherlands .
The Wildman is represented with his right hand on the crowned coat of arms of 'sHertogenbosch.
On the left , there is an orangetree , as symbol of the house of Orange-Nassau , the family of the king of the Netherlands.
ref : J.Dirks,Ned.Penningen,p 241 , nr 300.
52 mm , 19.8 gr .
albert.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2016  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Download interesting book on this issue here http://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpub...nd_symbolism
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,328Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05