Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1997 Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 5,470Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2016  10:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For a discussion of the US Botanic Garden silver dollar itself, please see my earlier post here: US Botanic Garden Silver Dollar.

In a previous post, I wrote about the Thomas Jefferson Coinage & Currency Set that was released by the US Mint in 1994. (Jefferson C&C Set post) The set features an uncirculated strike of the Jefferson commemorative silver dollar, a 1994 matte finish Jefferson nickel and a $2.00 bill featuring Jefferson's portrait.

No C&C sets were issued in 1995 or 1996, likely due to the Mint being busy with an expansive program for the 1996 Atlantic Olympics. There were: 4 gold half eagles, 8 silver dollars and 4 CuNi half dollars struck for the Atlanta Games - 16 designs in total with each struck in proof and uncirculated. (Not to mention a large variety of packaging options!)

The Mint returned to the C&C set model in 1997 in support of the US Botanic Garden commemorative silver dollar. The set features an uncirculated version of the silver dollar along with a 1997 matte finish Jefferson nickel; the Mint created the matte finish on the nickel by using sandblasted dies and striking each planchet twice. The set also includes a $1.00 note from the Virginia Federal Reserve District.

The set also included a brief but informative booklet titled A Living Memorial to our Founding Fathers: The United States Botanic Garden. It provides a concise history of the Garden and the roles George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe had in its founding. The numismatic components of the set are all embedded in a colorful folder that includes brief historical notes; the Certificates of Authenticity are printed on the back panel of the folder. The folder and booklet fit within a slipcase featuring the same color and design theme.

The sets went on sale, along with the other packaging options for the Botanic Garden silver dollar, on February 21, 1997. Collectors could call the Mint and order the individual proof and uncirculated versions of the coin, along with the 1997 Prestige Proof Set (the last year of such sets) that included a proof version of the coin. The C&C Set, however, could not be ordered over the phone.

In contrast to the "by mistake" open-ended production run for the Jefferson C&C set which resulted in total sales of 167,703 units, the Mint announced a production limit of 25,000 for the Botanic Garden set.

As such, the Mint anticipated a quick sell-out of the C&C sets, so it put in place an ordering process that it hoped would enable the largest number of collectors to acquire the set. Interestingly, it did not place an initial "per order" limit on the sets.

A summary of the ordering procedures:

1. Orders could only be placed via the mail; orders had to be postmarked no earlier than February 21, 1997 (the first day of sale for the coins).

2. Orders received that met the postmark criteria were sorted by the date and time of receipt. (Customers had to hope their local post office processed their outbound mail quickly!)

3. Orders were not immediately confirmed. The Mint first wanted to review the orders received to assess how many sets were being requested by each customer. If needed, it planned to retroactively place a "per order" limit on the sets to ensure a reasonably equitable distribution. Ultimately, it set a limit of five sets per order.

4. Once the limit was established, orders were confirmed and fulfillment began. Those ordering more than the established limit received the maximum number of sets allowed and a refund for any sets ordered above the limit.

The Mint announced that, on average, 1.93 sets were purchased per accepted order. Based on this, it would appear that about 12,950 orders were filled.

The pre-issue price for the set was $36. The regular price of the set was to be $41 after April 4, but the issue was completely sold out in less than a week. (The Mint announced on March 4th that the production limit had been reached on February 28th.)

The quick sell out of the sets suggests that even in 1997, a mix of collectors and speculators went after the limited edition C&C set. Prices rose on the secondary market quickly after the sell out was announced and selling prices in excess of $200 per set were not uncommon for several years after.

It should be noted that the primary interest in the set, as with the Jefferson C&C set, was caused by the inclusion of the satin finish Jefferson nickel - not the included commemorative silver dollar. This has caused many of the sets to have had their nickel removed for placement in albums or submission to grading services. The mintage of 25,000 for the nickel is, by a wide margin, the lowest mintage of any non-proof nickel in the Jefferson series; the proofs of 1938-41 each had a mintage under 20,000.

In today's marketplace, the set can generally be purchased for between $140 and $160 via on-line auction sites such as eBay, though sales outside of this range also occur with some frequency; for example, I've noticed a few go for lower prices over the past two months. I typically see the set listed for $175 or more on dealer web sites.

Following are images of the set's components.

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Outer Sleeve - Front

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Outer Sleeve - Back

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Coin Holder - Inner Left Panel

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Coin Holder - Coin Panel / Obverse

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Coin Holder - Coin Panel / Reverse

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Coin Holder - Note Panel / Front

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Coin Holder - Note Panel / Back

1997 US Botanic Garden Coinage & Currency Set - Booklet - G. Washington Page

Coming soon...a discussion of the American Buffalo Coinage & Currency set.

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/20/2016 10:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful follow-up to your previous post. Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10946 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This set is gorgeous. It's now on the top of my must-have list. Gee, thanks, commems!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10946 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meant to ask, what is/was the product code for this set?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always enjoy reading these so much Commens! We appreciate the information!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this set but as you can see my nickel isn't centered and my dollar is rippling:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Meant to ask, what is/was the product code for this set?

B70

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Debrajc: Thanks for sharing an image of your set. (And for the positive feedback!)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This set is gorgeous. It's now on the top of my must-have list. Gee, thanks, commems!

Happy to help!

It make me feel good to know I'm assisting, in some small way, the collecting pursuits of others!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10946 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Debrajc, why do you think you have the ripple in your note? Did the set get wet at some point? (great pix, by the way)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10946 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
B70

commems, you're amazing.

Besides that, you really keep good records. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2017  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The price of just the nickel is quite high. But having that low mintage has everything to do with that!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still on the fence about getting this nickel. I think I would consider a set complete w/o it and the '94 since they are not circulation strikes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TheForce: You're correct, the nickels in the 1994 Jefferson C&C Set and the 1997 Botanic Garden C&C Set were not struck for circulation.

As long as you don't collect proof versions of Jefferson nickels in your set, it is easy to justify not including the C&C Set nickels in your collection. If you do include the NIFC proofs, however, I would think these matte finish pieces would fit right in!

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 120grain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, pretty cool history on that set Commems. I always enjoy reading your informative posts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7105 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems for this great post. I remember reading about this several years ago and thinking I needed to get one, but somehow I forgot about it.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 5,470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05