Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Things That Aren't Actually Coins, But Kinda Look Like They Could Be

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 5,052Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought that it might be interesting to take pictures of things that are "coin-like" in appearance and see if folks know what they are. None of these items are used as coinage.

Any guesses on this first one?

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could almost pass, as an Indian anna planchet.
Edited by fioti
08/21/2016 1:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Bonzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some sort of inductor to me
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fioti, exactly what I was thinking!
@john Bonzo, yep an induction coil, but for what purpose? I've taken it out of its original packaging, which was somewhat waterproof and had two slots for attaching to an object.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8041 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attaches to CRT ?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dbm, nope, it doesn't attach to something made Zenith or RCA, but rather something made by Nike or Adidas.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Bonzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it's used in some sort of foot-warmer or heated insert?
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john, yep very close. This is the RFID used in the disposable chips that runners use during footraces to track their time electronically. You thread the plastic holder through your shoe laces and then when you run over the receiver, it logs your start/stop times.

Here is a pic of the RFID coil and a 1 Pice from India.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8041 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool.
How thick is it!
Is it ridgid?
Which side is the obverse?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
08/21/2016 11:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dbm, yes the copper coil is surprisingly rigid--i can only bend it slightly with my fingers. Not sure on obv vs rev as those are more terms of art for coins.

I'll post another puzzle in a couple minutes.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another item for you. It has a peculiar feature on the rim in one area and a cut out in the center. Other than that, it is featureless. We see this item on CCF a couple times a year looking to be identified. Any ideas?

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect related to dspenciner's. I've been tricked before. In defense, it wasn't this clean when I got it.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5924 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2016  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

When I was a little kid, I was constantly on the look out for stray change on the floor whenever we went shopping. Whatever the heck those metal discs are, they got me all the time, thinking they were quarters.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
16679 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep this is a punch-out from an electrical box. You often can find them around new house construction. Newer ones have a slot in them for a flat head screwdriver, which is used to pry them out of the box, thus leaving a hole for wiring. Some are are quarter-sized while others are a little smaller. The ones with slots remind me of transportation tokens.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always seen the slotted ones on older boxes.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
88845 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2016  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose that makes it easier to pop them out with a flat-head screwdriver; the right tool for the right job. These days we just bang on things until they submit.

What is next?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 5,052Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05