Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Announces 2017 America The Beautiful Quarters Program Coin Designs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 3,658Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  2:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint today announced the five new designs that will appear on the reverses (tails) of the 2017-dated coins in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program.

The honorees are Effigy Mounds National Monument (Iowa), Frederick Douglass National Historic Site (DC), Ozark National Scenic Riverways (MO), Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty National Monument) (NJ), and George Rogers Clark National Historical Park (IN).

Effigy Mounds National Monument

The design depicts an aerial view of mounds in the Marching Bear Group. Inscriptions are "EFFIGY MOUNDS," "IOWA," "2017," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." This reverse was designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Designer Richard Masters and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Renata Gordon.

Frederick Douglass National Historic Site

The design depicts Frederick Douglass seated at a writing desk with his home in Washington, D.C., in the background. Inscriptions are "FREDERICK DOUGLASS," "DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA," "2017" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." This reverse was designed by AIP Designer Thomas Hipschen and sculpted by Mint Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill.

Ozark National Scenic Riverways

The design depicts Alley Mill, a steel roller mill built in 1894. This merchant mill was used to convert wheat into flour. Much of the original milling equipment is still in place, and visitors to the park can tour the mill. Inscriptions are "OZARK RIVERWAYS," "MISSOURI," "2017" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." This reverse was designed by AIP Designer Ronald D. Sanders and sculpted by Mint Sculptor-Engraver Gordon.

Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty National Monument)

The design depicts an immigrant family approaching Ellis Island with a mixture of hope and uncertainty. The hospital building can be seen in the background. Inscriptions are "ELLIS ISLAND," "NEW JERSEY," "2017," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." This reverse was designed by AIP Designer Barbara Fox and sculpted by Mint Sculptor-Engraver Hemphill.

George Rogers Clark National Historical Park

The design features George Rogers Clark leading his men through the flooded plains approaching Fort Sackville. Inscriptions are "GEORGE ROGERS CLARK," "INDIANA," "2017" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." This reverse was designed by AIP Designer Frank Morris and sculpted by Mint Sculptor-Engraver Michael Gaudioso.

The obverse (heads side) of the coins will continue to feature the familiar 1932 portrait of George Washington by John Flanagan. Required obverse inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST," and "QUARTER DOLLAR."

The United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Program is authorized by the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008 (Act) (Public Law 110-456). The Act directs the bureau to design, mint, and issue quarter-dollar coins emblematic of a national park or other national site in each state, the District of Columbia, and the five U.S. territories. In accordance with the Act, the Mint is issuing the new quarters at the rate of five per year until 2020 in the order in which each honored site was first established. The final coin will be released in 2021.
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the water flow, jbuck.
I like the Ozark Riverway the most also.
I also like the Effigy Mound for it 'abstract art'.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly is the river flow.

I agree, Iowa is probably a strong second place. I have a feeling it is going to look even better on an actual coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having a hard time with the Effigy Mounds.
They do not look real and look like animal crackers to me.
Not seeing them in person but , from Nat. Geo. they look so much different and authentic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like Missouri for some reason.

Quote:
It's the water flow, jbuck.

I agree again!

Quote:
Having a hard time with the Effigy Mounds.
They do not look real and look like animal crackers to me.

I agree yet another time!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2016  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Indiana best. Ozark second ..

The other three, I don't care for at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2016  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slight side note in 1929 the US Post Office issued a 2 cent stamp honoring George Rogers Clark if anyone is interested in collecting related items http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ear/1929.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2016  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the Ozarks one (gotta find some pictures of us there since I am adding pictures of the Nat'l parks to my Dansco album) and also think the Indiana one will be cool in silver proof version. Not a bad batch of quarters for the year I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2016  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kinda drawn to "Ellis Island" for some reason -- maybe it's the expressions on their faces. It's almost asking for a caption contest.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AtB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS had Ozark for the weekend.

Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2017  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AtB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 3,658Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05