Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Canadian Cent Struck In Tin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 5,029Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4803 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2016  8:47 pm Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
PCGS has just certified a 1967 Canadian cent which was struck in tin. they have certified it as a mint error....what I am asking of you is your opinion on the status of this coin regarding what it actually is. to my knowledge there were no tin coins being struck at the RCM at this time(i could use help here as I'm not completely sure).

the coin in my eyes is likely a pattern, we know patterns struck in nickel of the 1967 dime and quarter which are widely accepted as such as at this time silver was getting expensive and the next year we began conversion to pure nickel instead of silver. so in my mind I began thinking that this cent is definitely a pattern, although I don't know the price of copper from 1967 I'm sure it was getting expensive to use just like silver was(keep in mind the US mint experimented with aluminum cents about 7 years later). so I am thinking that this was a trial of sorts in regards to an alternative metal for the cents who's content was rising in value.

some may think that this coin was another one of the things from the back door around this time such as 1970 gold dollars, 1969 flip struck cents, 1967 halves and dollars double struck and flip struck etc. but to me this screams pattern, it does not seem to align with the back door jobs of the time at all. other back door jobs exist in multiples and have been well preserved as they went straight from the crooked employees to the collectors.

tell me what you think in the poll and please comment in this thread, I think this will be interesting and maybe some will agree with me

Poll Choices
  definitely a pattern, the mint was considering alternatives to copper
  this is a purposely made error, likely produced as a novelty and escaped from the back door
  other, please explain

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 21 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4862 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2016  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since copper was really stable price wise until 7 or 10 years ago, I would guess since there seems to be only one example, that this is part of the 1967 creative coin collection, probably pretty cool looking thou.
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2016  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigchip22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how did you get it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4803 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2016  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it isn't mine, I saw it mentioned in the Canadian coin news, I haven't read the article fully yet but thought it was odd that they called it an error. thus this poll came to life.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 21 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2246 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it to be a back door error.
Why would Mr. Charlton just give the coin away to a friend as the story goes and say " Hold on to this, it might be worth something one day."
Charlton was a very knowledgeable man and I cant see him doing this with a Pattern coin.
If it was struck as a Pattern coin I believe that whoever took it from the mint would have by all means made sure that the coin was kept pristine rather then let it circulate to an AU status.
The whole story of this coin, although interesting, is a little fishy.
Just my opinion.
Edited by darryldarryl
09/10/2016 08:21 am
Learn More...
Canada
9953 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By most of the logic assumed here, you would not call the 1911 lead strike a pattern either...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4803 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa I'm not too sure what you mean by that sorry, just confused me a bit.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2167 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thedollarman I am glad you posted this coin. about one year ago. a collector approach me with some coins. he asked me if I would like to buy his coins. I said I will take look at what you have. as I was going through his coins. I saw the exact same coin that you have up here. I just gave him a phone call just now. I asked him do you still have all those pennies. plus the confederation coin on the off metal. he said yes I do. he asked do you want them. I will take them all. I can tell you its not the only one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1706 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4803 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rocky, that's really interesting. do you think you could email me please ?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2167 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sure I will Message you. I am going to meet him right now. I will be gone for awhile. I going to buy all his pennies. I will message you later have a great one. again thank you so much putting this up
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4078 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1911 Dollar in Lead is indeed a trial piece. No problem with that at all. However anything off beat from 1966 to 1971, must be greeted with great suspicion.
Way too much skullduggery going on back then. Some employees with creative skills and access to the backdoor was all that was necessary in Ottawa and Hull back in the day.
There were lots of willing dealers for the flavour of the week. Whether it was an impossible triple flip strike , a few rolls of Diving Geese , or a half bag of 1966 Small Beads Dollars or off metal test tokens. Place your order , it will be out in next paint can! Let's be honest none of that stuff was ever available through normal channels of commerce.
Learn More...
Canada
9953 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Jack... what would your opinion of this one be. It is similar to the 1967, full collar, full strike, but a Cu-Ni 3.2 gram planchet.

Trail/pattern piece (identical size planchet, specific gravity of 75/25 Cu-Ni is almost the same as bronze)?

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
305 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add XWLCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did it go rocky?
Very curious on your pickup.
Did you get the Tin Penny?

What else did you get. ( Start a new topic please so we don't go too far off topic here)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2167 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2016  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i got the pennies. the confederation coin he had was plated. not real some one made it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2167 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2016  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin are you saying that the diving goose is not real. I have diving goose in a uncirculated set from the mint. question would you cut that coin out of that set. I was wondering or would you leave in the set. what would you do
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 5,029Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: