Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are The Cheapest Medieval Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 3,211Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  07:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What cheap medieval coins are out there?

What does medieval mean for the purpose of this thread?
ca. AD500 to ca. AD1500. I'd specifically like to read about those from ca. AD1000 onwards but feel free to list earlier ones.

What does cheap mean for the purpose of this thread?
Let's say below $50 fully identifiable as to type and in decent condition (not bent, broken, or struck so weakly that half the degsign is invisible).

Images, price estimations, and further descriptions are all welcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9542 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  09:58 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. I recently purchased my first ancient and have been looking at medieval pieces too. Hope you get some answers!
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3307 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the modern end of the "ca. 1500" range, there is a surprisingly large amount of Russian wire money (even the late 1400s coins are not that rare, and coins of Ivan IV's reign are downright common). Not sure if that will count as "medieval", though. (Also, for many types it's very uncommon to see more than half of the design on a single coin, because the dies are large and the flans tiny.)

Byzantine copper coins from the 6th-7th century are fairly common and fairly cheap. (Gold too, but you won't get a gold coin for $50, obviously.)
Byzantine anonymous types (IIRC 10th century) and scyphates (IIRC 12th century) are also fairly common and cheap, but really hard to attribute (and the more common scyphates are rarely found in anything resembling decent condition, because the quality was awful and there's a lot of design).

Islamic and Chinese coins (and to a lesser extent Indian) are all over the place... good luck identifying them though, even if you know Arabic! (And, again, a lot of the types - especially Indian - rarely appear with an entire half of the design showing.) Not sure which ones are more common specifically.
Valued Member
Germany
95 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! I think that there are lots of nice silver (or bullion) coins from central Europe fitting that description. Many either really small or really thin, but anyway :)
I remember to have seen nice ones from Poland, Hungary, Lithuania or the old German states for less than 50 usd.
Also trams from the crusader states in Armenia for around 35-40... but I am no expert.

Good luck!
Best
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7902 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edward I and Edward III English silver pennies are quite cheap, if you just want a common mint variety and aren't too worried about the condition. Huge numbers have been found in hoards and more and more are being turned up all the time by detectorists.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hammered Lithuanian coins from the late 1400's are on eBay all the time for under $10.00. Coins from Bohemia from the 1200's and 1300's are available in the $20.00-25.00 range also.

Learn More...
United States
18178 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you can see in this thread:

http://goccf.com/t/257744

the answer is free if you are willing to extend the medieval date range to the late 17th Century. I still have some low grade solidas and would be happy to continue to give them away to folks who become sponsors of CCF.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Canada
261 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2016  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Check arnoldoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some Medival coins I got for under $50

There are a lot of good byzantine coins you can get for under $50... here are my Constantine VII copper coins, which I got for around $15-$40 ea

some Sassanian, early medieval period 500s + 600's coins are cheap, and are big coins too at around 32 mm
here is my Hormizd IV which was $20

Many Islamic coins are pretty cheap..
heres one of mine of Muhammad II of Khwarezm, which was under $15

A Levon I Tram, from the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia which was $20 or $25

and from a bit later, a 1619 Denier struck in Kremnitz, $9
Edited by arnoldoe
09/15/2016 9:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2016  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question DL20K!

Love the pictures of your coins Arnoldoe! Fascinating.

~ Mark
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2016  05:00 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lithuanian half-groat of Alexander Jagiellon, undated, with gothic legend, minted in Vilnius aprox. 1495-1500, like on my avatar, costs less than 10 usd, if it's not the rare variety.

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Edited by giedrius
09/16/2016 1:39 pm
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2016  05:09 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also undated Lithuanian pennies (denars) of Alexander Jagiellon (1495-1506)of both types, with gothic and roman A, Lithuanian half-groats of Alexander Jagiellon, undated, with roman legend, minted in Vilnius aprox. 1500-1506 and Lithuanian half-groats of Sigismund the Old, dated 1509, 1510-1514, 1517-1523 You can find by similar prices, around 10 usd. The other dates are more valuable.

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Edited by giedrius
09/16/2016 1:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6027 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2016  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Song dynasty cash are dirt cheap; you can get very nice ones for less than $4 each, or $1-2 each for wholesale bulk lots of lower grades.

Hungarian medieval coins are pretty cheap, but the price of problem-free coins goes up pretty dramatically. I have a handful, but am not overly fond of the overall flimsy feel there.

Indian coins are IMO some of the best "bang for your buck" medieval coins. India at the time was a confusing patchwork of empires, kingdoms, and foreign invaders. Top examples I would recommend are the "bull and horseman" jitals ($3-20, depending on silver purity, strike quality, and variety), the broad spectrum of imitations of imitations of Sassanian coins collectively called Gadhaiya Paisa ($1-50+ depending on variety), and Gupta drachms, which rUn about $10-20. If you are willing to expand your time frame, eBay is currently flooded with Mughal rupees from the 1500s-1700s, and most go for under $30.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2016  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally think that that Indian and Middle Eastern coins are going to start going up in value. I think that will be the next "big" area of ancient/medieval collecting. The coins are so interesting and there is such a variety.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 3,211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05