Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Magnifying Glasses For Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IamCam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to purchase an inexpensive magnifying glass (less that 20 dollars) to look at coins and would like some recommendations or suggestions. I read somewhere that a magnification of 30x to 60x is good.

I don't know much yet about coins or even much about magnifying lenses, so I appreciate any advice.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13015 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try this, specifically http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/fol...10x-18x.html

I think I just found where my g-daughter found mine, a few seasons ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4543 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, what are you looking for on the coins?

30x to 60x is WAY too much for most uses.
10x max should work fine.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dd27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The magnifier fioti recommended looks really good. And I have had only very good experiences with Wizard Coin Supply. They don't have the most sophisticated website in the world, but it gets the job done; prices are better than most; and they have most of what a coin collector needs.

If you decide you indeed want a lot of magnification (although I agree with Kanga that 10x is sufficient for most purposes), I have this one and really like it a lot:

Toch Dual Lens 60X 30X 2in1 Pocket Microscope Magnifier Loop Magnifying Glass Jewelers Eye Loupe Lens with LED Light

https://www.amazon.com/Toch-Microsc...o_229_tr_t_3

~ Mark

Pillar of the Community
Norway
1358 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually spent a little bit more than that and got me a lamp with a magnifying glass on the top. The good thing is that you don't just have a magnifying glass, but also a good and even source of light to actually see your coin. Depending on the daily rate for the NOK, I think it was $30 or so. I like this better than the monocular I have. It has two types of magnifiers: one main one, which is good enough for most occasions, and one small part to see even the tiniest details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5836 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2016  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 30/60x loupe for searching for extremely small details, or to count the number of electrons in orbit around the atoms of the coin (useful for telling silver from nickel). A $10 one is more than sufficient, and I would strongly recommend one with a light.

If you just want to save yourself some eyestrain, try something more like:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stalwart...ack/49696140

My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32721 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2016  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For general viewing 10x doublet and even better a triplet.For error/variety 12-14x again doublet triplet is better. B&L is a very good brand.A very good type is a Hastings
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2016  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IamCam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kanga, all I really want to do is be able to see dates and other small markings as I am over 50 so the small print is harder to see without magnification. After I posted my above topic, I went back to find where I read the 30 to 60x and saw much less magnification required! I don't know where I was reading the 30-60!

Thanks, all, for the suggestions and advice.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19177 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2016  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try Walmart or Target first.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2016  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider some of the lenses in old cameras. My local thrift shop sometimes has a cheap film camera for a dollar or two.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2016  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This might be one of the most popular

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-Bausch-L...AOSw8w1X-Dqt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16671 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2016  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
30x to 60X magnification is far too powerful for coin examination, because the very shallow depth of field field makes them virtually useless.

This sort of magnification is useful for examining internal flaws in faceted genstones.
Go for 10X magnification; that is what the TPGers use, and if it is ideal for them, 10X should be certainly OK for the coin collector.

10X loupes are much easier to obtain.
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2016  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried a number of magnifiers, including a loupe and a little kid's portable microscope, which is really cool for extreme magnification but a real IQ Test when it comes to trying to get the coin right side up and in position, because it does everything upside down and backwards.

The one I'm most happy with is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Fancii-Light...p/B019UYLIYI

Caveat emptor: it says 10x and up. The one I got was 30x and up. But despite what's been said here, it works great for me. It's portable, and it has a light, which is great--often when you break out a loupe, by the time you get the coin in focus you've blocked out the light in the room. Also, unlike a loupe, which you have to hold up to your eye, you can move the larger lens around, hover it over the coin until you get a good view. It's saved me a bit of eye and neck strain.

I also sprang for a USB microscope (they run around $35) which lets you get the coin up on your computer screen, and depending on placement of the scope, lets you view the whole coin or get in tight on a detail. It also lets you take pictures, which is good if you want to document your collection. I like it, but the 2MP camera flattens out the coin and the color can be funky. I think eventually I'm going to trade up for a 5MP. More expensive but long term probably a better investment.
Edited by twslisa
10/19/2016 07:56 am
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2016  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10x is plenty. I have several cheap Harris 10x loupes, which I keep in various locations, just in case.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2016  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AndrewC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have an iPhone with iOS 10, it has a magnifier built in. I have my phone set to go to the magnifier when I triple-click. I can turn on the light if I want and I can take a picture of the magnified image. And I always have it with me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05