Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Fractionals!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2016  5:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'll start it off with this one from Guatemala. Unlike many of its ilk, at 155 x 67 mm it's pretty much a full-sized note.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
601 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2016  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a rare one.

Size 126x77mm approx.
Sadly it is only a modern repro - note "COPY" lower right.

It is a copy of a printers proof for a 5 shilling banknote, which the government was considering introducing in Britain in 1917. My sources state that there is only one original known, and it is worth a pile of cash.

In 1914 the British government withdrew gold sovereigns and half-sovereigns from general circulation and replaced them with paper money, to fund the war. I understand that they were considering doing the same with the higher-value silver coins, but in the end decided not to do so because of concern on how it would affect the economy. the original printers proof was a trial concept of what these lower value notes would have looked like.

If anyone has further info - I would love to hear it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
601 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2016  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Originals this time ( I hope! ).

WW2 Fiji emergency paper money, to cope with lack of supply of coins from UK and large influx of US ( and other ) military personnel.

One penny ( 1d ). Size 80x51mm approx. I suspect that this might also be the smallest fractional note, as it is 1/240th of the basic monetary unit. Anyone have a smaller fraction?

110x61mm. Reverse is plain, just showing the underprint which is visible on obverse.

13x68mm. Again reverse is plain, only having the underprint.

I believe that these are the only types of emergency Fiji money from WW2 officially issued. I understand that there were unofficial paper tokens, such as theatre tickets and similar. If anyone has further info it would be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2414 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2016  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2016  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One sided, diminutive at 41 x 89 mm.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2016  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an assortment of WWII Japanese occupation script. The backs are rather generic and unremarkable. The largest bill measures 66 x 139 mm.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2016  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
State issued notes from the period of the Mexican Revolution. These are about 114mm wide.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2016  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicaragua, 53 x 118 mm.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2016  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condition of this specimen's not so great, but I've yet to run across another to upgrade it. 55 x 100 mm.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lucky Cuss beat to the punch on the Hong Kong One Cent note, here is a selection of this time-honored tradition, the folks in Hong Kong just loved these little guys for paying utility bills by mail.

These ran from 1 cent up to 10 cents, KGV through QEII. I think they quit printing these around 1972, although I may be wrong about that. Some of these are getting rather expensive.

At $0.15 US to the HK $1, you could get a bunch of these for next to nothing. I recall passing on a brick of 1,000 of the KGVI notes for $75 some years back. Now a graded example in UNC 65 seems to be running $30, vs. $4 for raw UNC.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
91 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xavierz27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Central Bank of China 20 coppers overprinted as 10 cents for issue in Szechuan Province. c1933-35 issue

Valued Member
United Kingdom
91 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2016  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xavierz27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Farmers Bank of China 50 cents of 1936 printed by De La Rue. This one's from the first year or so of my collecting.

The front images copy Qing Dynasty reproductions of 'classical' agricultural scenes from the Southern Song Dynasty book 'Yuzhi gengzhi tu' (Imperially Commissioned Illustrations of Agriculture and Sericulture)

Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this qualifies. 70 x 140 mm in size.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2017  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to drag up an old thread - I noticed a few fractionals were missing.

British Military Authority
1 Shilling
ND(1943)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2414 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2017  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2017  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, DavidUK.

One more from me -
Congo Democratic Republic
1 Centime

The 1997 series also has 5, 10, 20 and 50 Centimes. Does anyone know why Congo DR were producing such low value notes in 1997?
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05