Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Adjustement Marks In Some Xix Century Coins .....is It Possible?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2016  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

We all have seen antique silver crown coins with deep scratches in groups, paralels or/and crossed. I have understood that they were made to remove the silver excedent and adjust the weight of the coin when it was minted, then are called "adjustement marks".

Most I have seen are in coins of XVIII century, but I have seen these marks on coins of middle XIX too, Bolivian and the Italian States coins, I am coming in mind at this moment.

Is it possible or might be a red flag? Does anyone know until when the adjustement marks were used?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The latest marks I have seen on French coins are Louis XVIII pre 1820, and extremely uncommon by that time. I could not find a single example on cgb.fr, in past or current sales. Here's an 1817K 2 Franc:

To mee it looks like the adjustment scratches were made on the planchet before the coin was struck, taking away metal so that the dies could not strike through them completely. They usually show on the deepest relief, and unfortunately are usually right on top of the portraits.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
11/05/2016 1:41 pm
Valued Member
Germany
303 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potsdam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They also exist on early 19th century German States coins. You can find them quite often for instance on Prussian 4 Groschen and 1/3 Thaler coins that were minted between roughly between 1800 and 1810.

By the way there seem to be many 19th century coins that show adjustment marks. If you check ma-shops.com and type the term 'justiert' (German for 'adjusted' in the search field and filter for coins between 1800 and 1900) there are about 200 pieces from all over the world that are listed at the moment.
Edited by Potsdam
11/05/2016 2:00 pm
Valued Member
Uruguay
217 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cara to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thq: I agre with you, until around 1820's are the latest adjustment marks (A.M.) I have seen on French coins.

Potsdam: good search, thanks!... I have found this Prussian 2 Thalers 1867 C, it is an example what I mean.....Had not been standarized in Prussia in 1867 the weight of the planchets yet? really I do not know, but if the answer were YES, then a coin with A.M. would be a numismatic forgery. Do you understand what I mean?

https://www.ma-shops.com/brom/item....ng=en&save=1
Edited by cara
11/05/2016 9:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2016  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typically edge adjustment marks go across the rim.

https://www.ma-shops.com/siee/item....6004&lang=en

I don't see that on the Prussian coin, and am suspicious.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2016  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Typically edge adjustment marks go across the rim.

From the coins I have seen with adjustment marks I would replace "typically" with "often" in the quoted statement.
Valued Member
Germany
303 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2016  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potsdam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly. I haven't seen any adjustment marks like on that Prussian Doppelthaler. However, the dealer who offers it has a pretty good reputation, which is why I probably wouldnt be bothered buying something from him.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05