Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 D Dime.. Could This Be Inadequate Upset

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  4:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Otis16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Still new at this, and have a lot to learn. Could this 1985 D Dime be inadequate perimeter upset? If so, does this add any addt'l value ?

I greatly value everyone's opinion.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! A weak strike would have no rims. A struck through grease will. Your coin is a struck through gre ASE
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29956 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure Dustin? This is seen on most for that year and has been brought up a lot on CCF. I can't remember what it is.
John 1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not positive, but I remember from one of coop's ed files that greasers will have fully struck rims while weak strikes will not. Of course I could be wrong.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13527 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is seen on most for that year and has been brought up a lot on CCF. I can't remember what it is.

Maybe here:

http://goccf.com/t/230821
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40324 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does the reeds on the edge look like?

What is the weight, the same as a normal coin?

How does it look compared the the edge of another dime?

The reverse is showing areas of struck through grease, but the rim looks like it might have an issue with planchet weight? I know Mike Diamond said that it was common to find weak rims of some years of dimes, but I don't recall which ones.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this dime a while back. It was deemed Inadequate Upset and excessive obverse die convexity. I think it was Mike, but it could have been Ken.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40324 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that one is not the same die. The mint mark rotation is different. But both look interesting.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think 1985 was probably a good year for the weak rims. The obverse die convexity adds to the weak weak edges and devices near the edges caused by the Inadequate Upset.
Edited by CoinMasters
12/01/2016 11:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could this 1985 D Dime be inadequate perimeter upset? If so, does this add any addt'l value ?

I greatly value everyone's opinion.

In my opinion it is an Inadequate Upset error, there are some devices weakened near the edge on both sides of the coin. It also appears to be struck through grease in the UNUM area. That makes it a double error coin. However, with all errors, the condition of the coin affects the value as well. Your coin is not in a nice condition. You are the owner, so you're the only one that could set the value, but I think if you tried to sell it, you'd be hard pressed to get more than a couple of bucks.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Otis16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In reply to coop,

1.the reeds seem to be uniform on the perimeter of the coin

2. the weight I can't confirm

3. In the attached images a normal 2016 dime is on the left and the 1985 D on the right. It appears the 1985 D is slightly thinner ?

Thanks to everyone for replying

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40324 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it might be an issue with not enough setup on the upset mill. The rim is too thin.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05