Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$9500 In Halves And Not Much To Show

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2016  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the Structuring issue, doesn't there need to be intent to commit a separate criminal act to invoke structuring? If not then this would be similar to driving 1 MPH below the speed limit to avoid getting a citation...

I can understand if the withdrawals were intended to be used for criminal purposes, but these are not.
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2016  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you would be okay if you can show you are pulling cash from one bank and putting in another.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2016  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow I would be bummed out as well. You certainly would respect more silver for sure. I got $13 in halves in an envelope someone cashed in at the bank and 9 of them were 40% silver. Very happy with that!
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2016  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clbchiro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was disappointed but won't give up. I've got another $1000 coming from NY and another $4500 from my bank. I'll post my findings again, hopefully with better results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2016  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as the Structuring issue, doesn't there need to be intent to commit a separate criminal act to invoke structuring

No, the act of trying to avoid the paperwork is the crime and otherwise lawful people have been arrested for it and had assets seized. The spirit of the law is for other criminal activity but sometimes innocent people get caught in the net.
A SAR can be filed for any suspicious action regardless of amount.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44802 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2016  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The persistence of you CRHers, despite the astounding odds, always amazes me.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clbchiro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mentioned I would reply with my total from the next coin lot.
$1000 from (Loomis) Upstate NY- 2 Proofs
$4500 from my bank (Brinks) - 13 40%, 1 Proof
Someone asked earlier how long it took me to sort through the coins, it takes me about 1 hour do go through a box of $500.
I look for:
silver
DDO's: 1971 D, 1972, 1973 D, 1974 D
Rotated reverse: I flip all coins
No FG: 1972 D, 1982, 1983
NIFC or UNC if it is nice enough and doesn't have noticeable flaws

I have found 1 1988 rotated reverse, 1 1983 No FG, 2 1972 D no FG, multiple DDO's in all dates mentioned above. I have also almost completed all the Kennedy books just from circulation (It has to be "UNC" to make it in my books).
Cents and nickels tend to be more "lucrative" in my opinion, so I do a lot of those too. The large order of halves was just an experiment to see if larger orders were better.
I am definitely not CRHing for a living, but it does give me something to pass the time while watching a TV show or movie at my desk. There is a thrill about finding something, even a 40% that makes it fun enough to do even when often I don't find anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2016  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, the act of trying to avoid the paperwork is the crime and otherwise lawful people have been arrested for it and had assets seized. The spirit of the law is for other criminal activity but sometimes innocent people get caught in the net.
A SAR can be filed for any suspicious action regardless of amount.

Then what is the true limit?
If the reporting limit is $10,000 but $9500 constitutes structuring, how much can I transact without reporting or worrying about structuring? $9000? $5000? $25?
Should I self-report currency transactions over a certain number but below the legal requirement? If this is the case then every currency transaction could constitute structuring since it is below the reporting limit and it could be inferred that I didn't transact more to avoid the paperwork.

There has to be a trigger someplace where otherwise law-abiding people will be able to make transactions for legitimate purposes without worry of forfeiture or sanctions. Making a currency transaction under the legal limit absent criminal intent or action cannot incur sanctions. Suspicion sure, but once that is shown to be non-criminal that should be the end of it. An SAR is fine but just because it is filed it does not invoke a sanction or fine.

This would be similar to my previous remark, like getting a ticket for driving 1 MPH under the limit to avoid a speeding ticket.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2016  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@n9jig

AFAIK, there is no limit for a SAR. Tellers possibly submit them routinely, according to my wife, she was a teller and loan officer for years.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2017  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But an SAR is not a sanction, it is like calling the police to report a suspicious car driving down the block. The cops check it out and it turns out to be legit. A teller files an SAR on a guy that takes $9500 out, it gets investigated by the proper agency and they see that it is not for a criminal act and the SAR is closed. Structuring is what former Speaker Hastert was accused of, his actions were done to hide criminal activity.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2017  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvl9591 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I admire your persistence. Good Luck. Happy Hunting!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05