Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This St. Gaudens Any Good?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  8:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MaxVCad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys, I've collected some coins and paper money on and off for a few decades now. New to these forums and am looking for a little advice.

I'm in the market for a 1928 or 1929 St. Gaudens. The 1929 is much more difficult to find so I'm thinking of bidding on the 1928 linked below. Does it look like it's been cleaned to you? If it hasn't been cleaned would this be about an AU coin?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33207834368...RK:MEBIDX:IT
Pillar of the Community
United States
3419 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question - Are you building a type set or just fancy to have a $20 St. Gaudens?

Personally, I would not purchase a $20 gold unless slabbed.

The 1928 example you provided a link to, has quite a few bag marks...IMHO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1470 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a solid MS-63 and should be readily available for around $1,200. Its too high and too common in this grade.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MaxVCad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm if this is readily available for $1,200 where is that that I would go to find such an item? The cheapest prices I've seen are on APMEX but they give you a random year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1470 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I'm not even sure it would make 63. It might be a 62. Here's a certified 63 for the same money and it looks nicer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-US-Gol...AOSwcUBYUaUk
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't monkey around with raw coins on eBay unless you're an experienced collector. There are opportunities on Heritage this Monday. This is the last session of the 'fun show'. I suspect many collectors are running low on funds as the show comes to an end. All you need is a paypal account to bid and register.

The following 1928's are up for bid:
https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaud...ption-071515
https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaud...ption-071515

Pillar of the Community
United States
9273 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP's link does look like a genuine MS63 but since it's a raw coin the price is not worth the risk. 1928 Saints can be purchased in top tier certified (PCGS, NGC) MS63 slabs for the same amount of money and is the way to go.

This coin is considered generic gold in MS63 and you can go to this link and place an order for one. Be sure to ask for free shipping! http://www.collectorscorner.com/Pro...?id=17443421
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
01/06/2017 10:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dealer that I know was actually HAPPY to sell a 1908 Saint in a PCGS MS63 holder for $800. So yes, that coin is way overpriced.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A dealer that I know was actually HAPPY to sell a 1908 Saint in a PCGS MS63 holder for $800. So yes, that coin is way overpriced.

In what year was this sale?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin is considered generic gold in MS63 and you can go to this link and place an order for one. Be sure to ask for free shipping! http://www.collectorscorner.com/Pro...?id=17443421

Thanks for sharing BH!
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dual-brain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As per OP's question: the surfaces look original to me
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16470 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Common in higher grades.
I am not a fan of slabbing, but for Double Eagles, a nevertheless a high value item, where the slabbing fee is justified

two reasons:
1. Better grade is everything with these.
2. The slab protects a coin that can be very easily damaged.

Spot gold value by far the most significant component of the overall value.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timing the purchase relative to the gold market critical. A lot of current opinion suggests staying on the sidelines for now could be prudent, as the U.S. stock market shows every sign of at least short term growth, thus lessening the interest in gold.

Keep control of your emotions. Perhaps, not but immediately.
Do due diligence on price research once a week for a while, before deciding to buy.
Edited by sel_69l
01/07/2017 01:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steele, it was last summer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically, he sold it on eBay for $950 with free shipping I think. That is basically getting $800 out of it because of the eBay fees. Gold was low then.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9162 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all who suggest purchasing one that is TPG graded/certified and would only add to make sure you're getting an exact coin that is imaged as all MS63's are not equal. Be very fussy and you'll end up with wonderful example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Basically, he sold it on eBay for $950 with free shipping I think. That is basically getting $800 out of it because of the eBay fees. Gold was low then.

Are you sure you have the right information? Gold was NEVER below $1000 last year, so he basically sold the coin for below melt. I believe you misheard.

Are you sure it wasn't $1950? PCGS price guide lists a 1908 with motto for $2400 in MS-63. That is the only logical conclusion other than the dealer being insane.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05