Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Telling The Difference Between 50% And 80% 1967 Silver Quarters/Dimes

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you have a Canadian Dime or Quarter from 1967, It's either:

-50% Silver/50% Copper (#1)
-80% Silver/20% Copper (#2)

A way to tell the difference on point is with an XRF gun, but these devices are very expensive. If you don't have an XRF gun, keep on reading.

So here's some theories I have gathered overtime:

-Coins released in mint sets are all 80% silver.
-Coins released into circulation (business strikes) are all 50% silver.
*Until they started minting 50% silver, both mint sets and business strikes were all 80% silver.

So,
If the coin is PL, it should be 80%.
If a coin is not PL and appears to be a business strike or is circulated, it should be 50%.

NEVER buy 1967 Quarters/Dimes at 65% silver (some dealers do that) if they're all business strike-looking! The reason some dealers do this is because they minted about the same number of 50% and 80% silver coins, but most of the 80%s went into mint sets as PL. Remember that since 1967 was the commemorative year many millions of mint sets were sold!

Sources: (Delete the links you find inappropriate, I personally believe they are all fine. I am not promoting any of these links.)
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldr...c.php?t=4193 This guy tested a bunch of 1967 quarters and dimes with an XRF gun and found them all to be 80% silver. His batch likely came from the first part of 1967's business strikes, which were all 80% silver.
http://goccf.com/t/60503 Look at SPP-Ottawa's first post on this site, it says he checked 20 of his '67 dimes with an XRF gun and they all read as .50 silver.
https://gold-forum.kitco.com/showth...Silver-coins Tells the mintage of 50% and 80% silver dimes
http://www.canadiancoinsdollar.com/...r-Coins.html This is a bit hard to read, but tells the mintage of 50% and 80% silver quarters were about the same.
https://gold-forum.kitco.com/showth...ns-from-1967 The 4th comment of this post tells how all mint sets are 80% silver.
http://goccf.com/t/42080 florida's first comment here says that he has a PLish '67 dime and a regular '67 dime. He says they sound different when dropped.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3002 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The drop test has been known for years .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36399 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
786 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a coin were moderately circulated, would it be easy to tell if it was PL or not?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7490 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
-Coins released into circulation (business strikes) are all 50% silver.................
If a coin is not PL and appears to be a business strike or is circulated, it should be 50%.

Absolutely and totally false.
Please reread the links you provided in their entirety.No one there comes to your conclusions.
Do the math, over 30 million 80% dimes struck, about 1.5 million PL and specimen sets issued, that leaves about 28.5 million 80% coins unaccounted for according to your conclusions.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
01/21/2017 9:24 pm
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, where can I find this info? I've been trying to find a source as to how many sets were sold in '67.
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
punman, it should be easy to tell between the letters I've found
Valued Member
Canada
349 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2017  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM is dead on and in fact using the exact mintages of the dimes even subtracting specimen and PL dimes, more 80% 67 business strike dimes exist then 50% 67 business strike dimes. You should get 80% coins more then half the time. Deals aren't stupid they make money, they would not pay if they could not make the money.
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admins, can you guys take down this post? I now realize it's misguiding to anyone who comes across it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1554 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no need to take down the post, as long as the correct conclusion is reached. Ultimately, we all know not to believe everything they read on the Internet. Some member's opinions are more respected than others, and each reader can determine fact from fiction based on that. Anyone that reads only the first few posts of a topic is not truly interested in the topic. I didn't jump to the op's conclusion after reading through the posts. Others should do the same.
If anyone has a solid method for determining purity without an expensive, fancy machine, I'd love to hear it. The mintages of each and finish are not relevant to the new collectors that wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyhow.
Are the same dies used for both 50% and 80%?
Any markings that are different?
Any help would be great, I'd like this topic to stay alive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2400 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned before .. drop them on a hard surface (bar, countertop, etc). You can tell by the pitch of the ring.
Learn More...
Canada
8462 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As mentioned before .. drop them on a hard surface (bar, countertop, etc).

Bill, it is much more fun to drop one in your beer... and then "save the Queen!!"
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see some thing more trustworthy than the "drop test", what if someone melts all their 80%ers and sells all their 50%ers as 65%ers? I don't like the idea
Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigchip22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice to know this info
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1714 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i believe there is a " specific gravity test"

here is one example http://www.attilacoins.com/Calculat...ity_coin.asp

seems like a lot of trouble, and if you were to try and sell your 67 coins based on your work testing each coin, I think you will have a hard time trying to convince people your coins are 80%.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
660 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't trust your sense of hearing, here is an older post describing drop testing using software to check the ring of coins. Looks like fun...

http://goccf.com/t/112924&whichpage=1
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05