Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Daily Running Post Of Each E Clashed Dollars

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  11:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
VAM-84a

Edited by twohawks
01/24/2017 10:06 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the next 22 days I will be posting every E Clashed Morgan within the set, this is Day 1.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matttheriley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I suggest you change the topic of the thread? You might gain more views and interest that way. Also, will these all be coins you own personally? That is a beautiful 1878!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Matt, Russ is the fremost authority of E clashed Morgan's and yes these are all his coins. This is going to be a good ride

Russ, one suggestion. Can you post a macro pic of the E on each along with the LFCP's. That would be great eye candy for those unfamiliar with each.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
320 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would be great eye candy for those unfamiliar with each.

I am unfamiliar with know nothing about the E clash. Do tell please~
Pillar of the Community
United States
9047 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to sEEing all your E clashers Russ..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2017  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK 1st off an "E" clashed Morgan dollar is one that the working dies collided together when "No Planchet or coin blank was in the coin press. When the dies collided the image of the to dies impressed the relief into the other die. In this case the letters from LIBERTY's cap band transferred to the reverse die and appear under the tail feathers of the Eagle.

Each coin I will be putting in this thread will be an "E Clashed Variety"

With well over 3500 die pairing and repairing, only 13 die pairs are known to have clashed in this manner. When you compare, the number of N type clashes and ST type clashes that number well above 300 die pairings, the rarity really stands out.

This next coin needs no Sub Photo of the E Clash!

This is the 1891 VAM-1a1 LOOK UNDER THE TAILFEATHERS ON THE REVERSE OF THE COIN!

Edited by twohawks
01/24/2017 12:05 am
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
320 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome explanation. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's the big boy!

Kinda jumped the gun with the 1A1 but boy is that a sexy beast!
Edited by Cascade
01/24/2017 10:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of figured it would make the explanation of the E clash more understandable. I will put in up the balance of the 91 V-1a group and then go back to the 1880 year. I think my V-1a4 looks better than this one. But that because of the refreshing of the die post clash makes the E jump off the coin more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9047 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Russ. Yeah that 1a1 E clash is so deep it's almost a trip hazard.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, will these all be coins you own personally?

Mat, as its been said before all of the coins in this post are my coins. My set contains all 22 types with all of them being finest known! With 17 of the 22 being population 1 of 1 known. and 3 being 1 of 2 known.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4011 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...this will be an impressive thread.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Awesome explanation. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!

Ditto

Quote:
Mat, as its been said before all of the coins in this post are my coins. My set contains all 22 types with all of them being finest known! With 17 of the 22 being population 1 of 1 known. and 3 being 1 of 2 known.

Awesome! Please elaborate so a newbie such as myself can somewhat follow. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6733 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2017  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive thread ... your expertise is helping to educate all ... myself included

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2017  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Awesome! Please elaborate so a newbie such as myself can somewhat follow. Thanks

Coin Collecting 101:

1) Few mass produced coins are really rare!

2) Many mass produced coins in the highest grade are very scares or rare! "in general terms"

3) Rarity "doesn't mean that something is something is worth a million dollars"! It only means it's very un-common!

4) Value follows when something is rare or very scarce and has a following that supersedes the known population!

5) High value comes when the rarity is vary high and the known population is limited to less than the number of collectors seeking to add the coin into one set! It also comes when a coin has a vary limited number of a given coin in "Finest known"! In this set I am putting up all but a few can be found in lower grades without much problem! That's what makes the E Clash Set nice! It can be collected by most people, and it can be completed in modest grades with only 2 real stoppers. But the stoppers can be found in the wild still to this day!

That makes this type set fun, as many collectors enjoy the hunt!

As far as this set, many of the varieties are vary scarce in high grade. This is for a number of reasons, 1st is it contains 3 1886 O Morgan dollars this year and mint mark in a nice MS-61 without it being a Clashed E run about 1,500.00 each. The other reason falls into what die state a give coin is in. This set is of "Clashed Dies" by definition that means the dies have been smashed together, that makes finding really nice coins a bit more difficult.

On this set is a secondary mathematical equation to consider. Lets look at just one year like 1887 P Morgan dollars. The US Mint produced 20,290,000 1887 P Morgan dollars with about 40 die pairs and about 54 varieties in general. When you look at the 1887 P VAM-1b E Clashed Dollar there are "Less than 100 known" in all grade in every grading company ....out of 20 million coins produced "That's Rare" This variety only has "2" Mint State examples that exist. That makes Mint state examples extremely Rare!

6) As a collector becomes more competitive with their Coin sets. Registry sets come into play where given coins are given a point value, that is based on grade and rarity. A collector builds a set and adds the points up and competes for position! This part becomes very fun, and you find yourself swapping and trading coins with other collectors.
Edited by twohawks
01/25/2017 12:26 am
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05