Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning A Modern Kuwait Dinar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 853Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
143 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2017  11:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here in the US we have these machines in retail stores where people dump in loose change and people will either get money back from the store or will get gift cards. My daughter, who is almost seven, has learned to check these machines when we go to the store to look for change that people have left there. At the moment she has found coins from twenty nine countries around the world. The oldest happens to be from from 1947 from the Netherland Antilles.

One coin is a modern Kuwait Dinar that is in pretty sad shape. We all know that cleaning coins is generally a no-no, but the way it is now there's really no reason to even look at it.

Can someone tell me how to clean this coin? We don't need it to look brand new but we do want to get rid of all the crud on it to see the the writing and the ship clearly.

Thanks!!

Learn More...
United States
31840 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2017  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We don't need it to look brand new

That looks beyond hope of being anything that the normal rules about cleaning coins would apply. So, without having to go out and buy anything special, perhaps Ajax or Comet cleanser and a toothbrush... I'm sure there will be those that disagree with this thought.
Edited by nss-52
02/06/2017 11:46 am
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2017  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is this coin made of? Maybe we can work backwards on a way to clean it up...?
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2017  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure how to clean it, but..

Quote:
What is this coin made of?

The coin is dated 1410, or 1990 in the Gregorian calendar, so it would have to be made of copper-nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1358 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2017  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you can try to remove some surface damage with a wooden toothpick (or a porcupine quill as some people here suggested). When done with that, you can try with a lukewarm bath with some mild soap and see what happens. I got recommended a soft toothbrush or cotton wool. If this doesn't happen, I think most here would suggest to soak it in acetone for a while. Pure acetone, that is, so no mixture with 90% acetone and 10% rubbish or so.

EDIT: Actually, I think most people here would recommend not to clean the coin. Given that this one here is not very special or very valuable and already in bad condition, it may also be a great way to just get experience a bit with the whole cleaning thing.
Edited by UltraRant
02/06/2017 6:42 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 853Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05