Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hyperinflation Notes

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  3:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2dollarBill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone!

Relatively new to the banknote collecting game but I think it would be fun to collect the highest denomination notes I can find. Here is what I have so far:

-Zimbabwe 100 Trillion
-Yugoslavia 500 Billion
-German Papiermark 100 Trillion (says 100 Trillion is a denomination on Wiki but can't find any pics...? 100 Billion is highest I can find)
-I remember seeing Vietnam and Iran with huge notes also

Any other ideas?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4175 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the biggest surprise from that website:

Quote:
The United States experienced hyperinflation between 2016 and 2017 after excessive stimulus and quantitative easing by the Federal Reserve Bank in a failed effort to end a prolonged recession. The central bank later claimed it had no choice but to carefully devalue the dollar, making it possible to reduce the massive national debt that resulted from bank bailouts and several unsuccessful wars - and to normalize exchange rates, making American industries more competitive with other countries.

In late 2016 a new dollar was issued at an exchange rate of $1 new dollars = $10 old dollars. The new dollar was backed by a partial gold standard with fixed exchange rate of $20,000 new dollars = 1oz gold.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10114 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody is tuning up their fiction writing skills.
Edited by CelticKnot
02/08/2017 5:01 pm
Valued Member
Canada
341 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aghawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the last entry is about the US is a bit tongue in cheek. Or they got the date wrong and it should be late 2017 - 2018 . . .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Indonesian 100000 Rupiah note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The exchange rate for it is about $7.50.
Learn More...
Australia
13178 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Hungarian hyperinflation of 1946 is still the record holder. It's difficult to tell just by looking at the notes, because they had to use abbreviations of abbreviations just to fit the denomination on the notes, but you can get Hungarian hyperinflation notes with a theoretical face value of 100 quintillion pengo. Or to use scientific notation, 10^20 (a 1 followed by twenty zeroes). You can see a picture of one on the Wikipedia page.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2825 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
says 100 Trillion is a denomination on Wiki but can't find any pics...? 100 Billion is highest I can find
In German, the word "Billion" actually means 10^12, i.e. what is normally called a "trillion".
So if you're seeing a note that says "100 Billionen", it's actually a 100 trillion.

I'd love to get an example of the world's highest denomination coin, the 1 Billion (i.e. trillion) Mark from Westphalia. IIRC it's extremely rare though (with a mintage of something like 850).

Belarus and Turkey were also notable for high-number notes. And good luck getting an Armenian 100,000 dram note - they're worth about $200 face value (maybe a bit less now, not sure).
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap!
Saw that pic on wikipedia when researching the 1000000 Hungarian Penga note I had bought on line for a buck! Made me realize I probably spent way too much!
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2017  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2017  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The German billion is an American trillion. German uses the milliarde between million and billion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2017  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at Argentina and Brazil. Both countries went through several inflation eras and new currencies.

I think Argentina went through the Peso, Peso Argentino, Australe, and back to the Peso, all in about 30 years. Lots of optimism as note series were introduced with 1-500 peso notes, then quickly ran up to 1,000,000 in short order, to be replaced by a new currency.

Zaire did some tricky stuff, too.

If you want to really see something, get a US silver dollar, and the equivalent silver coin of the major countries that inflated their currency. A 1935 US silver dollar and a 1935 Hungarian Five Pengo coin are essentially the same. Same goes for the old Argentine Peso, and so on.
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2017  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won an auction a few days ago. With 5 Billion Dollars I could retire

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10114 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2017  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your pic isn't showing up for me but could be the crappy Internet connection at the hotel.

I'm pretty sure I could retire on $5B U.S. Dollars too. Heck, maybe even 5 hundred thousand. Though that paltry figure would make it tough to support my numismatic habit.
Edited by CelticKnot
03/06/2017 11:48 pm
Namibia
38 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Namnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coin197

This Rupiah note?

Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05