Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Purchased This 1880 O

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  03:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lucv13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just purchased this 1880 O on eBay and was checking USA coinbook to determine if this was an 80 over 79 and it struck me that the 1880 on the coin looks quite different than the photos on USA coinbook. The numbers seem to be thick on the right side on the eBay coin while in the Coinbook photos the thickness is uniform. I am now questioning it's authenticity!

Edited by lucv13
02/15/2017 03:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

At first glance (before reading your text) I thought, there's nothing wrong with that coin except the obverse is a little off center.

Then I looked at the date and started to wonder. Could the right-shifted strike make the date like that?

If it's non-genuine, then it's a restrike on an old Morg with a very good pair of dies. Dies that good shouldn't screw up on the date. I haven't looked it up, but didn't NOLA mint shuck out a lot of $$ that year?
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that it's an artifact of the lighting used to photograph the coin. I'm pretty sure when you get it in hand it will look normal.
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lucv13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I tend to believe that it's genuine as well, the seller has over 25k sales at 100%. Just wanted to get some opinions
Pillar of the Community
United States
2743 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  08:04 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave is correct. It's a lighting artifact. I've seen this with my own photos from time to time. The coin is genuine.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
02/15/2017 08:05 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Photos have a tendency to capture inconsistent views based on lighting and angle. I don't know how many times I've photoed a coin for my digital album and went back to the coin to see what was really there.

Often, what I thought was an odd looking date or MM was simply due to my photograph being a bit off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really hard to get a perfect angle, especially when you aren't using a tripod.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks genuine, but do your due diligence on the coin checking weight, magnet and try to VAM the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, do try to VAM it when you get it in hand but keep in mind 1880-o is one of those issues that has you chasing microbes for die markers in some (many) cases. Do not get discouraged if you can't VAM it on the first pass.
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lucv13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the input guys, finalized the purchase and the coin has been shipped, should get it within the next couple of weeks
Pillar of the Community
United States
7137 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  08:34 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree it's the lighting, looks good.
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorganGuy78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to be a micro O variety.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05