Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Grade This '46 Walker Half

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  5:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thulium to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my only Walker half, so I'd appreciate some experienced grading help on this one. I shot this coin for detail, it doesn't look as toned in-hand. Also note the scratch on the obv above IGWT--how much does that affect grade? Thanks for all your expert grading advice.

I cherrypicked this off eBay for the doubled die--I'll post pics to the variety forum.
Edited by Thulium
02/17/2017 01:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16449 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some remaining mint bloom.
Slight wear on the high points of the design, both sides.
A TPGrader using a 10 x loupe, should be able to see the wear reasonably easily.
AU50. Pity about the scratch, it would have otherwise been AU55.

Reasonably pleasing coin, anyway.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wondering about the "scratchy" surfaces and is that a DDR or just MD? Can't really tell enough from the pictures
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thulium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sel_691...that was my ballpark grade too, but I appreciate hearing from more experienced graders.

Quote:
Wondering about the "scratchy" surfaces and is that a DDR or just MD? Can't really tell enough from the pictures

Sharp macro lens--and I did set lighting to pick out details as well as defects. And if you click on the image, I think the doubling on E.P.U is pretty apparent--but I'll post more detailed pictures later
Edited by Thulium
02/16/2017 6:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the doubling on E.P.U is pretty apparent.

I see now that I found you can enlarge the picture by clicking on it - nice pick up!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1691 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atlashealth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

beautiful walker...hairlines...net AU-50
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12674 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That scratch above IGWT is in significant , not to worry . the coin does have a lot of detail but a lot of small abrasions through out . Coin displays little wear on high spots .AU-55+ .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it's been cleaned. maybe AU 50
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sho' 'nuff, short stuff, NICE DDR! for closeup!

Those light scratches, harsh cloth used at some point, but still AU 53 maybe?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7648 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet coin, love the DDR !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thulium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your grades! The scratch is a minor thing for me, but I was curious how it would affect net grade. I'm more than happy with the die state of this coin, particularly on the reverse where a lot of the DDR details remain.

Quote:
looks like it's been cleaned. maybe AU 50
With coin in-hand, you might feel differently. The "hairlines" the coin shows are all random, quite different in appearance from a deliberate brushing/whizzing to create "luster". The single LED light and my sharp lens tends to pick out marks that appear parallel, but when you turn the coin in the light it's clear the marks are random in every direction.
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ckbrenner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick-up. Definite doubling seen in e pluribus and I believe I see the classic 4 legs extending down. Plenty of luster remaining. High AU details but background surfaces would make in lower.

You can still cherry pick these. I found one undetected in a PCGS holder a few years ago! Had to send back in twice to PCGS to finally get the proper attribution.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at AU-55.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes the hairlines go all over the place. but I was also looking at the crud by the date, in folds of the dress,rays of the sun, the hairlines may have been caused by a Q-tip. not saying its a bad coin. just what I think. hope I am wrong
Edited by chipjones
02/16/2017 10:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thulium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks...I'll take a look at the crud in the date. I do think my picture doesn't give the most accurate impression of this coin, but I shot it to capture as much detail as possible for grading. Perhaps I'll take a few other shots to give a better look at the fields.
Edited by Thulium
02/16/2017 10:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thulium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not related to grading, but here's a detail of the doubling on E Pluribus Unum--shot at a low lighting angle to bring out detail

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05