Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quintillus Antoninianus

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4112 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Marcus Aurelius Quintillus, commanding troops in defensive positions in northern Italy, was acclaimed as emperor upon the death of his older brother, Claudius II Gothicus. The more dynamic Lucius Domitius Aurelianus, though, simply was held in higher esteem by the legions, and Quintillus' support quickly evaporated when Aurelian asserted his claim to the throne. Quintillus committed suicide after being emperor for less than three months.

I got first crack at a bag of unsorted and unidentified antoniniani today, all apparently from the late 3rd century. This was the only Quintillus I saw. I have it as RIC V 45 var. I was taking the "T" to indicate it was struck at the Ticinum mint, but I'm not certain that's correct.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
02/17/2017 7:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add magicalmke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a real nice coin. Great find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5814 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up!

Quintillus has always been one of my favorite obscure emperors, for reasons I can never quite place.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22823 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:00 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't usually see these in this nice of a condition, even has a little silver remaining. Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1740 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin Lucky Cuss.

I especially like the well struck reverse..

I'm a bit confused as the Ticinum (Pavia, Italy) mint
was in operation from c. 274 - 326 A.D. Using PT, T, TT as its mintmarks...but the coin was struck in 270 AD

Maybe..but I'm not sure...it's a Milan mint and the T stands for third officina?

Thanks for sharing Saludos Paul
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMK65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too love the reverse. What a beautiful coin.

Thank you for the background on Quintillus. I have to admit he's an emperor I knew nothing about.
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting coin inasmuch as it is not quite listed in RIC. Since you are calling your example #45 var, you probably know most of what I wrote out here. But for those who do not follow the mints, let me explain.

Four mints produced the coins of Quintillus, but Ticinum was not among them. The coins of Rome, Mediolanum, Siscia, and Cyzicus each had specific combinations of types, inscriptions, iconography, mint mark letter forms, and letter positions to distinguish their products from one another.

The type of your coin is Concordia stg left with ensign and cornucopiae. This is accompanied by the inscription CONCORD EXER. That form of inscription is distinctive and important in this case, inasmuch as the inscription as you have it normally accompanies only this type with two ensigns. That is how it appears at Rome and at Mediolanum (Milan) the only two mints who used this type with two ensigns. Milan also used this type with one ensign, as you have it, but not in combo with this inscription as you have it.

Rome used no exergual mark, but Mediolanum did use an exergual "T" mark on two versions of this coin. The exergual "T" mark, which refers to the officina T(ertia - third) appears with this inscription and a two standard version of the type. Exergual "T" is also attested for use with a truncated inscription CONC EXERC or CONCO EXER or CONCO EXERC and a single-standard type. It is not attested in RIC as you have it.

As a "var" I would agree that your coin has closest association with RIC V #45 for Mediolanum, third officina.

Edited by lrbguy
02/18/2017 09:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4112 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since you are calling your example #45 var, you probably know most of what I wrote out here.

On the contrary, I confess my technical knowledge regarding Roman Imperial coinage is not extensive as my interest in such arose relatively recently. I feel good about it whenever I get the basics right (what emperor, which century, reverse type and legend) without having to resort to books or online resources. What's surprising to me is as limited as my expertise is, I still often seem to know more about what I'm looking at than the folks at the coin shops I patronize do.

It's rather a bonus for me if this particular coin is as you think a variant not previously documented. I only knew when I was cherrypicking the lot that it stood out from the rest. Thus I very much appreciate your deailed analysis of this specimen.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1740 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But for those who do not follow the mints, let me explain.

Excellent explanation lrbguy thank you

RIC V #45 for Mediolanum, third officina is on wildwinds and is text as being very rare...So excellent buy Lucky Cuss

Thanks for sharing
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5814 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my go-to for exhaustive variety research:

http://www.romancoin.info

At the bottom are a series of excel spreadsheets; there is a full one for Quintillus. I think yours is row 204 under the "1 person" tab
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Liberty Belle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a fantastic find! It's not often to get first crack at unsorted goodies. Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
excel spreadsheets; there is a full one for Quintillus. I think yours is row 204 under the "1 person" tab

The problem with that, Steve, is that #204 specifies "two standards" for the reverse figure. Just below that #205 has "standard and cornucopia," which is the form on this coin, but with the obverse inscription as on the coin above.

This guide may be helpful in identifying features, but the sad part about this listing is that it does not attribute the coins by mint and/or officina. In that regard it is not a substitute for RIC.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RIC Vi is woefully outdated; but there is actually an online version of an update that is in progress.
http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/home

the link from the above site for the listing of the original coin in this post- http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/1119

a good book for the Milan mint is"Mediolanum - La Zecca di milano dalle origini a Desiderio, Re dei Longobardi (IV sec. a.C. - 774 d.C.)" by Alessandro Toffanin; which actually cross references the RIC temp numbers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1740 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK,,But does that mean that my original attribution was correct?

Quote:
Maybe..but I'm not sure...it's a Milan mint and the T stands for third officina?
(as a closest association/)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely Quintillus, especially since it appears to have silvering.

I like the little circles in his hair to illustrate his curls.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4112 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the link from the above site for the listing of the original coin in this post- http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/1119

That's absolutely it. They have this classified as being under RIC 1st 45 var. and the mint as Milan (Mediolanum}. Since thee are 44 examples documented (all in European collections?), the notion that it's a new variation or "very rare" can pretty much be dismissed, I think. Of those listed, many have photo files attached. From the standpoint of a unique specimen, I'd call attention to the fifth from the top on the first page (identified as Vienna 21148) for which the photo shows a strongly double struck obverse.

Quote:
...even has a little silver remaining.

Quote:
...it appears to have silvering.

That certainly appears to be the case to me also, and in this respect it might be something of an exceptional example.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
02/19/2017 11:21 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05