Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aurelian Antoninianus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,299Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4134 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  8:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lucius Domitius Aurelianus was born to humble circumstances, but attained prominence as a brilliant military tactician. The complete loyalty of his troops allowed him to displace Quintillus, brother of Claudius II Gothicus, as emperor. Aurelian led numerous successful military campaigns against barbarian hordes, rival states, and usurpers alike.

Aureliam saw to it that plebians had bread and a sense of security (the construction of a defensive wall around Rome, some of which is yet extant, bears his name). He also was defied by the imperial moneyers over his wish to reverse the debasement of Roman coinage. Rather predicably, these moneyers were quickly crushed when he turned his attention to them.

Aurelian was murdered while campaigning against Persia by officers who had been misled into believing he meant to liquidate them. But in his five years of rule, Aurelian's accomplishments in restoring Roman authority were nothing short of astonishing. He was posthumously deified by the Senate.

I got first crack at a bag of unsorted and unidentified antoniniani today, all of which appeared to date to the late 3rd century. There were just a few Aurelians, this one being by far in the best condition. I have it as RIC 260 var(2). This supposedly would've been struck at the Serdica mint. Would I be wrong in interpreting the "P" as not a mint mark per se, but simply designating this coinage as pecunia? Alternatively, I suppose it might also stand for "prima" for the first works at Serdica, if that's in fact where it was produced.

Also, I find it curious that while this is good sized at about 20 by 22 mm, it still evidently wasn't big enough to accommodate the reverse legend.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
02/17/2017 8:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
22981 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:05 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started collecting ancient coins, Aurelian was the very first coin I cleaned and was about to ID. Very nice example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4906 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice example.

Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
16012 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Aurelianus @LC!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMK65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detail on the portrait, Lucky Cuss.

The flan on your coin should be 22mm all the way around. Since it is mostly short it did not fit the die well and was struck off center - losing most of the inscriptions. The type is of period III, with Emperor stg r. holding scepter, receiving globe from Sol stg l holding whip. No captives below or between.

If the "O" visible on left is the beginning of the reverse inscription, it may be for ORIENS AVG. That would correspond with the reverse form for RIC V #282 for Serdica, officina P(rima) the first officina. This type is attested by a coin from officina 4, Quarta. If this all is correct, then the obverse inscription would read IMP AVRELIANVS P AVG.

Here is a mint state silvered antoninianus for Aurelian showing the full 22mm size and lettering proportions, but for RIC V #64 for Rome, 4th officina (Delta in L field)

Here you can study the combination of devices that allow you to identify the coin by mint and officina.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  11:25 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am reading reverse as IOVI CONSER
That corresponds to RIC 260
Serdica AD 272

Nice coin
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am reading reverse as IOVI CONSER

I think you're right FR. I can see the "I" down by the tail of the toga. Your reading fits better on both sides.

Obv. inscr. #4: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG
Pillar of the Community
United States
4134 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I happened across another Aurelian antoninianus today. I take the mint mark on this one to be QXXT, which I believe ought to peg it as being struck at the Ticinum mint. However, I'm not seeing a catalog entry for this design that bears this specific mint mark.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  01:22 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice little gem
Everything about it is grade A
The only "minus" that can even be made is the lack of any visible silvering
But I would try the same 'juice' bath approach on it
It may show some traces yet
Not too much
But just a dash to give it 'spice'

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1830 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!....
The QXXT seems to be a lot scarcer than the more commonly encountered SXXT / PXXT /TXXT.

Here's one to compare...Paul
Aurelian AE Antoninianus. Ticinum Mint 274 AD. Obverse: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG Radiate and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: ORI-E-NS AVG Sol standing left, raising hand and holding globe, trampling captive at foot left, another captive at feet right; QXXT in exergue. References: RIC 151. Size: 22mm, 4.35g. Numismatic Notes: Near EF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05