Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is International Coin Certification Service (ICCS) Still Running?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20138 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep telling everyone sticky topics suffer a similar fate as banner blindness but no body listens.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1017 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few (if any!) people would have anything negative to say about the knowledge or grading skill of Brian. He's an expert, and his flimsy little plastic pouches are a big part of our campy little coin hobby in Canada... that's just the way it is. The really good stuff is going to find it's way into PCGS holders and likely move across the border anyway.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1397 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2019  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to agree 1cent, but I have to agree with you I have been slowly switching my coins from ICCS - PCGS hard slabs it more money and a hassel with customs on both sides of the boarder but finally figured out a safe cheap way to get them there
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2272 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS

Quote:
but finally figured out a safe cheap way to get them there

please do tell,

I've yet to pay someone to grade a single coin, but it's getting to the point where the insurance co wants more than my opinion scrawled on a 2x2.
PCGS is cost prohibitive, but ICCS is on the other end of the spectrum (regardless of it's ability to grade accurately) with it's soft flips and zero internet presence.
I believe that ICCS has survived without being online because a majority of their customers are also "pre interent".
So while they obviously are making a living within the current format, as a business person I can not understand how they are ok with the number of customers that are passing them by.
Too bad, I normally go out of my way to "buy Canadian", but in this case it just doesn't make sense, or dollars and cents.
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CA_Coin_Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to submit one or two coins but I have some questions:

1. On the submission form it shows a column for 'Owner's Value' what does it mean and what do I put in the column.

2. Is the insurance optional? If not, what is the minimum and is it per coin or per package?

3. Lastly how much is the shipping in Toronto?

Thank You,
CA_Coin_Hunter
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2616 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's much cheaper per coin if a large group goes in. Do you live in an area with many dealers? Do you belong to a coin club or is a large show nearby? Postage can be all over the map depending on package size, insured or no, delivery time and distance. Call the post office to find out. Call ICCS to find out about your situation, if you can get them on the phone.

As a side note, unless you have some specific reason to certify a coin, you may be better off getting opinions from folks here. Unless you can actually SELL the coin for nearly $200 or so (and I'm not talking about an Ebay "ask" price or a book price) it can take years and years to be able to make up the cost of the certification with the coin.
Learn More...
United States
78380 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalmBud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they should have an informative website.... like step in to the 90s
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42171 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS - Stodgy old grading service with comical holders (and crazy grades) that only survives because no one else sees much of a future in grading just Canadian coins. Sounds like a plan.
Valued Member
Canada
435 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's still the service of note for Canadian coins. If you're going to sell me a Canadian coin slabbed by an American company expect to offer me a discount. ICCS makes mistakes. They all do but in the Canadian market the Yonge Street company still dominates the certified Canadian market. I use it as little as possible but for high grade and expensive coins buyers want protection.
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Double J to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems sad. It reads as if this is primarily one persons business and will end when the main person retires. I have only graded one coin and used them for that. I went in person. Anyone know why they won't start a website or put anything into the branding of their service? Eventually I want to get more coins graded and would prefer to use them but, as times goes I start to waiver on that.
Valued Member
Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wow, what could say your business needs to modernize more than people questioning whether you are still up and running...

C''mon ICCS, we like you...listen to what your customers are saying!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05