Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Quarter No Mint  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  06:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Clueless Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a similar post, but theirs had a "JF" mark, whereas mine has no stamps at all. It seems that it is lighter than other quarters from various years and to be in excellent condition considering the year ('63). I got it from a quarters machine for pool tables at a local bar. I read that it could be a proof. Can anyone please take a look and give me their input if it's worth anything and if so, an estimate? It would be greatly appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19362 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not a proof but a business strike. No mint mark means it was minted at the Philly mint. It is silver so it has melt value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6053 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As John says It's not a proof but nice condition for being in the wild for so many years . Might be worth a little more than melt to a beginner collector .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
1073 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth no more than $4
Still a great circulation find!
People often question my "strange" or "weird" hobby of coin collecting. I think of these people as the common, "pocket change" people. Nothing unique about them. They question those who are different, call them "weird" for not being average. Those who have these strange hobbies are the "rarity" people. They are the "weird". The "quirky." Those who are different from the group are the Morgan dollars in a pile of modern dimes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  08:53 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It seems that it is lighter than other quarters from various years

This puzzles me because genuine silver quarters weigh MORE than "quarters from various years" (which I interpret to mean those you normally find in circulation today - copper-nickel clad).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12732 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He said it "seems" lighter so he didn't weigh it just a subjective guess from holding it in his hand. A VERY inaccurate judgement. Unless you have a lot of experience and practice the typical person can't detect less than a 5 gram difference in weight between two objects. With training you might be able to detect a 1 gram difference.

I can see what appears to be the JF initials on the truncation of the bust.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1657 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is worth about $3.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
4240 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Umm... Actually this one looks a bit special to me. I believe its a type B REV. The type B was an error made using a proof die on a circulation strike quarter. Look at the larger gap between the E and S in STATES on the REV.

Its worth more than melt.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14822 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorganGuy78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with earle, definitely a type B reverse.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clueless Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses, especially Earle42. Any ideas on what the value could be? I have no idea where to find that out
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bmar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is rare now days to find a silver coin in circulation, some kid must have cleaned out their parents dresser draw.
Edited by bmar
03/26/2017 11:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19362 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value looks to be around $5 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...045573.m1684
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4240 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
circulated condition is about 5.00. If the condition was mint state, then the price is higher.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
03/27/2017 8:31 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05