Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Women Of Rome - Annia Galeria Faustina

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 5,251Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2017  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Faustina Major (or Faustina I or Faustina the Elder) was born in 100CE and died in 140CE. She was empress and wife of Antoninus Pius. Her daughter, Faustina the Younger, went on to become empress and the wife of Marcus Aurelius.

She was a very well liked and beloved empress during her lifetime and, unlike many other women featured in this series, was not murdered.

My Faustina denarius example is a posthumous issue, which were popular with Faustina Major after her death. The inscription AETERNITAS on the reverse, with a veil billowing around Aeternitas's head, symbolized eternity. My example has a pretty irregular flan, but the portrait is very pleasing and unmarred by the flaws.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5859 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2017  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin and great strike. I especially love the rendition of the hair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3289 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2017  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the billowing veil is an allusion to Selene or Diana Lucifera. Both associated with Luna (hence the crescent shaped veil).
The Romans believed the dead to exist as mere shadows or ghosts who could only be seen in the dim of night.
Faustina was obviously much beloved by Antoninus as the issues seem to have continued over the greater part of his reign.

Nice coin
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
23551 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2017  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent strike and detail, beautiful bust image.
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pius and Faustina hold a special place in my heart. Their coins were some of the first Ancient Romans I fell in love with when I took up the hobby.

Pius and Faustina were evidently in love and faithful to each other in contrast to their daughter's licentious ways. Pius was also one of Rome's great emperors.

The temple dedicated to both still stands prominently in the Forum, allowing those possessing their coins to touch the past portrayed on the reverses of some of Faustina's coins.

Edited by jskirwin
03/16/2017 12:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2286 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin EFLargeCents

I've just bought one of hers to go
With my Pius not as nice as yours
Though will post it when I receive
It.

Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are three different Faustina obverses, on four coins; one from an issue while she was still alive, and three that are posthumous. Because of the extensive coinage Antoninus had ordered for the consecration of his late wife in 140, and the longer period of time those coins were being issued, Faustina's posthumous coinage now tends to be more plentiful than her life issues. There were three distinct issues of coins for her while she was still alive, which are distinguished by obverse inscriptions. There were three more for her posthumous issues, all three of which begin with the word "DIVA".

LIFE ISSUES: three issues differentiated by obverse inscription.

The first coin I show here is BMCRE #41 (under Pius) from her second issue in life, 139 A.D. It is distinguished by the addition of the epithet PP (Parens Patriae ?) to what had been the inscription for her first "life issue." Of special interest is the arrangement of her hair and hairpieces, to quote BMCRE "...The hair is elaborately waved and coiled, with bands across the head, is drawn up at the back and piled in a round coil on top." (BMCRE IV, Catalog p.8) Note that this style is also to be found among her posthumous issues.

FAVSTINA AVG - ANTONINI AVG PP
bust of Faustina facing r, arranged as noted above.

CONCORDIA AVG
Concordia, draped, seated left on throne, feet on low stool, holding patera in extended r. hand and resting l arm on side of throne: under elbow, statuette of Spes standing r. on low base, under throne cornucopiae.
Although this coin matches the plate coin for BMCRE #41, I do not see a cornucopia under the throne.

POSTHUMOUS ISSUES: three issues differentiated by obverse inscription, however the second issue was almost entirely in gold with but a single example in base silver for the denarii.

FIRST issue: With DIVA AVG FAVSTINA obverse inscription. Less commonly seen.

BMCRE (Pius) 287
Obv.: DIVA AVG - FAVSTINA
......her bust r.; hair styled as before, but veiled.
Rev.: AETER - NITAS
......Providentia stg l. holding globe in extended r. hand and vertical scepter in l.
The reverse central figure with this inscription varies; sometimes Juno, sometimes Fortuna, each differentiated by what they hold forward.

THIRD issue: DIVA FAVSTINA obverse inscription

The posthumous third issue was later than the other two, but ran the longest and was most extensive. Two break patterns for its inscription were used; the one here, and another as DIVA favorite - STINA
The coinage for this issue with the AVGVSTA reverse was extensive represented by 69 catalog entries (BMCRE 389-458) 13 entries for gold and the rest silver (denarii)

BMCRE 421
Obv.: DIVA - FAVSTINA
......bust r. hair arrainged as in life issue, but with additional braids/netting running behind and across.
Rev.: AVG - VSTA
......Ceres, veiled, draped, standing front, head l., holding long torch, vertical, in r. hand, and raising fold of drapery in l.

BMCRE 435
Obv.: DIVA - FAVSTINA
......same as above
Rev.: AVG V - STA
......Vesta veiled, draped, standing l., holding simpulum in r. hand and palladium in l.

I was surprised to learn that they got so much mileage out of a reverse type by mixing figures and attributes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some lovely ladies here!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1185 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice coins .
I hope for Antoninus Pius that his wife was alive so beautiful as on her coins.
Here a hybrid fourrée of Faustina Maior :
the obverse is FAUSTINA AUGUSTA : RIC335
the reverse is MONETA AUG , a reverse from a coin of her husband : RIC76.
@ Irbguy : the epithet PP : belongs maybe to Antoninus Augustus : Faustina Aug(usta) Antonini Aug(usti) P(atris) P(atriae) : Faustina Augusta wife from Antoninus Augustus,father of the Country . albert

Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the epithet PP : belongs maybe to Antoninus Augustus : Faustina Aug(usta) Antonini Aug(usti) P(atris) P(atriae)

Thank you Albert, that makes perfect sense! I have not checked the dates, but would not be surprised that they added it to her coins when the honor was bestowed upon him. That would account for the move to a second life issue for her.

Thank you too for reminding me about the using fouree pieces in these threads. I decided to check my group of imperial fouree, and found a few for various women. I will try to photograph some and add them to the mix.

I hope our Imperial bronze collectors are going to show us some of their treasures for these ladies. And, of course, there are the images on Roman Provincial/Greek Imperial.
Edited by lrbguy
03/17/2017 2:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1185 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked now ,he accepted the title of Pater Patriae in the year U.C.892 (A D 139) , in 894 (A D 41), Faustina died .albert
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1820 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't actively collect the Antonine period but do drift into it on the odd occasion. The following coin was one such occasion. It was the fact that it is a barb. of hers that grabbed me.

Faustina Senior - Barbarous denarius

Obv:- FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Draped bust right
Rev:- AVGVSTA?, Aeternitas standing holding sceptre

Martin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4371 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this Faustina the Elder issue yesterday banging around loose in a bag that contained mostly large Byzantine bronzes.

Small at just 16mm in diameter, but thick with a respectable weight of 2.44 grams. It seems to me that her features were particularly softened and idealized in this instance. I have it identified as RIC 382a (RSC 166).

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
948 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is some interesting content and material also for Faustina I here: http://goccf.com/t/252843
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2286 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2017  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have just aquired this one..

The same as EFLargeCents (although not as nice) but with a different obverse legend break,and also there doesn't seem to be the additional braids/netting running behind and across her head, but maybe this is just wear on the coin?

Diva Faustina Sr, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, 18mm, 3.08 grams.
DIVA-FAVSTINA, draped bust right
AETER-NITAS, Aeternitas, standing front, facing left, holding globe, veil billowing out around her head and behind her.
RIC 351, RSC 32, BMC 373

Paul
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2017  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greekandromancoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a recent acquisition. A tribal imitative of a life-time denarius of Faustina I.

A well reputed ancient numismatist pointed out to me that the portrait on the obverse looks more like Faustina II. So this is potentially a mother-daughter combination, with a portrait of Faustina II on the obverse and a reverse from a coin of Faustina I.

I have recently started collecting coins of Faustina I and could not resist adding this one to that collection.

I do not know why exactly. I think I am particularly attracted to the idea of Antoninus Pius's continued devotion to his wife long after she left this world.

Faustina I the Elder; Rome; Denarius; Silver; 140-150 AD; Obverse: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust of Faustina I right; Reverse: AVGVSTA(?), Ceres standing half left, raising right hand, long torch in left; Size: 18mm, 2.6g, 6h; Grade: gF, nicely toned; Provenance: ex FORVM Ancient Coins; Reference: cf. RSC II 139a

Edited by greekandromancoins
06/07/2017 08:21 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 5,251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05