Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transferring Collection To Caps Albums And Loving It!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 4,687Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2017  12:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jwm74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, I finally took the plunge and decided to move my current "Type" albums to a CAPS
1900s-2000s Type Album. This is step 1. I also purchased bulk Air-Tites in cent, nickel,
dime, quarter and half dollar sizes as well as the Type album, Eisenhower dollar album,
two Kennedy half albums, Franklin half album and 5 blank albums with "A" sized CAPS
pages. These are for my proof and mint sets.

So far the Air-Tites and CAPS albums are a joy to work with. Placing the coin in the two
piece Air-tite is simple. I made a mistake and had to remove several halves (I put them
in direct fit half dollar capsules when they needed to be put in a "H" sized capsule -
Dollar size with ring to accept the half dollar). It was not too difficult once you do
it several times and get the knack.

Placing the Air-Tite into the CAPS page is also fairly simple and straight forward. Some
take a little more pressure, but they eventually snap into place. I was able to remove
them by placing the page upside down on a short, round container bigger than the
capsule. I then apply pressure to the back of the page popping the capsule out.

I have researched, read and asked questions about different methods of storing my proof
sets; Danso albums, Whitman albums, Littleton albums, 2x2 flips, 2x2 snaplock holders,
Eagle 2x2 pages, polypropylene 210 pocket pages, and CAPS album for the past 2-1/2
years. I finally decided on the CAPS albums. It is probably the most expensive method,
but also, IMHO, the most stylish.

I am waiting for some special size Air-Tites (such as the "H" Air-Tite with ring to
accomodate a half-dollar) before I can finish the Type album. It also has several
additional opening my Littleton 1900s Type album lacked so I will need to shop for some
additional coins.

Will post more with photos as time and progress permit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jwm74, could you show a photo of the short, round container you used to remove the capsules from the CAPS page? Thanks, Ham.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10895 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds great!

Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwm74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have put together some pics of my progress towards CAPS storage.

Original Proof & Mint Set Storage--

Current Proof Set Storage--

Current Mint Set Storage--

My First Type Set in a Littleton Album--

My 2nd Type Set in Eagle page with plastic coin snaps--

CAPS, Dansco and Littleton albums--

CAPS albums Work in Progress--

As I start filling the CAPS albums, I will post some pics of the completed or partially
completed pages.

Ham1947, I will post a picture of the plastic cylinder I use to remove Air-Tites from
CAPS pages in the near future.
Edited by jwm74
03/21/2017 11:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10895 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GREAT photos! And I love the diskette drawer. Very retro.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress.

I have a few ASEs to add to my CAPS ASE album; you've inspired me to get going on that.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwm74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ham, here is a picture of the "round plastic cylinder" I used to help remove an Air-Tite
from a CAPS page. I use just the top small section. It is a column of different sized containers.

They can be found at:

https://www.amazon.com/Blender-Bott...%2Bjars&th=1

The top (smallest) cylinder section I use is 2-1/4" in diameter and 1" tall.

As I started to collect coins, 5-1/4" floppy disks were on the way out. So I had a
couple of empty boxes that perfectly fit the modern proof sets!

CelticKnot, will be expecting those ASE CAPS album pictures soon!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jwm74, thanks for the information. Ham
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10895 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2017  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jwm74 - should have some photos in a week or so. I placed an order with the US Mint Thursday and when that comes in I will have a bunch of ASEs to pop in: all 3 2016 issues, and bullion and Proof W for 2017. Missed out on the Congratulations set, so not sure what my plan will be for the 2017 Proof S.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10895 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2017  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, as promised, here are photos of my newly-updated CAPS 2229 (ASE 2012-Date) album. First, an old one of the already-finished front of Page 1:

Now the back of that page, taken tonight:

And finally, the front of page 2, with 2016 and 2017 populated for everything currently available, minus the 2017 S Proof, which doesn't have a slot yet. Probably will end up having to wait 3 years or so for them to update page 2 for the 2016 30th anniversary ASE labeling and the 2017 ASE Proof S slot.

Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2017  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ok, as promised, here are photos of my newly-updated CAPS 2229 ( ASE 2012-Date) album...
Looking good!

Are you going to make room for the 2017-S? Or will you add that to the end?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10895 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2017  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, jbuck. Before I decide what to do with one, I have to acquire a 2017S!
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10895 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, jwm74... how about more of YOUR photos since I have upheld my part of the bargain?
Edited by CelticKnot
04/20/2017 12:13 am
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, jwm74... how about more of YOUR photos since I have upheld my part of the bargain?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 4,687Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05