Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions for all you experts out there  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  7:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI EVERYONE.

I wanted to ask, while starting out at first collecting coins for my kids. I am starting with wheat backs and Lincoln's and also state quarters in books. What is the best method on getting coins, getting rolls at banks? Cause I'm finding they don't like that where I live. Lol. Or do I order through the mint or where? Sometimes I just go through my pocket change. I am hoping that's okay. What can I do to be more professional with collecting coins? Advice would be greatly appreciated.. thank you so much..

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1speedy1111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those books are fine for me if I was a normal new collector. But in time they are still exposed to elements in the air. And also with the books some of them list high dollar doubled dies that would need filled. I personally like to use 2x2 flips purchased at your local coin store and then ask them for few pages that the flip can go into. Basicly you will make your own D ring folder for the pages and organize the coins in the order you make them. You can also go with 1.5 flips instead of 2x2 to get more coins filled on one page. Once you know the pages and flips you can easily order them cheaply from eBay. Also in doing this I recommend a stapler to staple the coins but the stapler should make the staple flat on the back side so as not to rip the plastic pages or not to scratch or dent your other coins when it starts to get a lot of weight to it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2855 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking collection so far!

Get the coins you need anywhere you can find them!

It would be tough to fill a Wheat cent folder from circulation, but there are many places to buy common date wheat cents for a reasonable price.
Maybe start with buying some rolls of wheat cents (they are cheaper that way) then but the other tougher dates from coin dealers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4741 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question! To find most contemporary coinage you do need to look through a lot of coins, more than just pocket change, that would take forever! So yes, searching coin rolls is actually the most efficient way to do that. Your bank should be the source for obtaining these rolls, whether individual or by the box ($25 Pennies, $100 Nickels). The problem comes in returning these coins. We call it "dumping" , "dump sites". Some banks if you have an account, will gladly give out/order boxes for you, the nicer ones will take them in. Banks that have coin counter/sorter machines that routinely do this for businesses may allow you to dump yours, hopefully without any charge or fees like a Coinstar machine does. Ideally that is what you want to find, free source and return.

Some coins like the older Wheat cents are nearly impossible
to find all issues but the most common of the 40/50's dates in circulation any more. These you can purchase in rolls or bulk quantities, may cost a bit, but can make a family day out of searching. Wheat cents I know, bought quite a few. Same with the older Jefferson nickels, you can still find the common high mintage ones, but the Key dates, hardly ever, if you do find it in a roll, celebrate!

Above all keep it fun!

Like that quarter book, mines full, yea! Has all the issues including the territories that other folders lack!
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies", in PDF format!
AND Now NEW!
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!", in PDF Format!
Both are here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
03/20/2017 8:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much everyone
Pillar of the Community
United States
4563 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a word of warning, most of the eBay sales offering unsearched coin rolls are not legitimate. There is a scam market of this on eBay, and many people get suckered into it.

Make friends with a local coin shop and tell them what you are trying to do. They will most likely work with you. By local coin shop, I don't mean the "We Buy Gold!" type places that exist to take advantage of people, but an actual coin shop.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank u
Pillar of the Community
United States
6709 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel for you because getting into coins now is a lot different than back in the old days . CRH now is a hit or miss proposition ,with mostly misses unless your into errors and varieties . a good way to find coins of interest is to check your change whenever you receive it . You can get your feet wet buying or bidding coins on E-Bay . But we can't stress this enough, be care full not to fall prey to scams , fakes, and dishonest sellers . Experience will pay off in time . We also don't want to scare you away from E-Bay; As many CCF members participate either in selling or buying on the Bay . Good luck with collecting .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for more info
Pillar of the Community
United States
4563 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-bop - thanks for adding that biy about eBay not bring a totally bad place. The unsearched rolls scams are bad, and or course, Lelah, if you are wondering about a coin on eBay - ask the people on this forum about their opinion of it.

We have experts that can ID fakes, bad deals etc. eBay is actually a great place to buy from, but like everything else - a little education goes a long way.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to banks for rolls works for cents, and it can be fun too. If I turn my head to the left a little, I can see the three boxes of cents on the ground that I'm working my way through. I'm not sure how many wheat cents you'll find this way -- I haven't had many -- but if you start looking for errors and varieties, you'll have more fun.

If you need wheats, Crazyb0 on ccf has a decent batch in the classifieds section. I would definitely buy from him before buying "unsearched" rolls on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had nothing but good luck getting coins I want from eBay.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15894 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep away from eBay and other on line sites if possible. In so many instances people only get ripped off. You should try asking everyone you know for old cans, jars, boxes of coins laying around. Look up coin shows in your area too. Those are the best places for coins. I know how banks are getting ticked off about roll coin collectors. They have a habit of getting a lot of rolls, opening them all and then taking them back to that same bank. To stop this by me, BOA has a new policy. You bring in coins, they put them in a plastic bag, send out for counting. And then the amount is entered into your account. And there is a fee for this too. NO account? Then they send you a check and a larger fee for that too. Some banks refuse to give out rolls of coins unless you have an account there and the account must be set up for coin distributions.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bmar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have three sets of Lincoln pennies that I have started over the years. I would have books that are only printed into the 1970's so I would buy new books and write in the date on the old ones and keep on adding new coins. My books look like a picket fence because I am missing so many Philadelphia coins. It takes a long time to have a coin travel to Montana and they are worn by the time they get here. I do buy coins on eBay and also Littleton coins....but I usually leave the coins in the cello wrappers!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4563 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search this site. There was a thread about trusted eBay dealer. I know one is oozentoo. He is also the guy who owns the local coin shop near me. A great guy to deal with and honest.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05