Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your Vandalized Coins

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8917 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  5:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found them in circulation.

Now they are part of scrap collection: vandalized coins .

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2572 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an interesting subject for a collection. You can get them for face value, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poor Anna got in a knife fight.. And lost

Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found them in circulation. Now they are part of scrap collection: vandalized coins .
Interesting collection.

Quote:
Pillar of the Community
United States
1201 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5168 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2017  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got this penny in change when I was 9 years old!

I wonder if the vandal realised that it was a key date (mintage 240,000)?

Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2017  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if the vandal realised that it was a key date (mintage 240,000)?
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2017  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow these pictures make this coin look much nicer than it actually is, though more so on the obverse—those intentional scratches are quite apparent in-hand. But at least whoever did that knew better than to clean it, I guess. Anyways, here is a 1915 Canadian 10 cent piece:

And here is another coin that took a beating (the date is 1891):

Pillar of the Community
United States
3471 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2017  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a "vandalized" Shield nickel, 1866-67, with rays type. The obverse was planed, counterstamped, and it was holed. Made to be a personal piece, one-of-a-kind, it was likely used as a tag.

In this case, we know the culprit by virtue of his signature! Henry Magee was a Justice of the Peace who resided in Centerville, Limestone Township, Pa. until the mid 1860's, when he relocated to Wisconsin. Born in 1802, he died in 1877 and was laid to rest in the Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Martell, Wisconsin.

Edited by ExoGuy
03/31/2017 08:20 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2017  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[in signature]
Someone needed a small piece of silver for some project,
and this poor Barber dime took the indignity.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5627 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2017  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one hurts.

AE As of Herod Antipas (Antipater), Judaea
4 BC - 39 AD
The letters in the wreath are TIBE/PIAC for Tiberias Mint.

This is a very rare and historically significant coin, worth over a thousand dollars if someone didn't get too aggressive with cleaning it and completely rub off the obverse.

Most Judaean coins are common, but Antipas either did not mint many, or very few survive to the present day. The coin of the land at the time was imperial Roman coins imported from the Mediterranean, and local issues used as small change (an as could buy a few loaves of bread; the famous "widow's mite" was worth 1/8 of an as.) This is thus the rarest denomination from one of the rarest client kings of Rome, certainly the rarest one that is mentioned in the Bible. Biblical sources state that Pontius Pilate sent Jesus to the court of Antipas, but Jesus ticked him off and was sent back to Pilate. Antipas also ordered the execution of John the Baptist to win the favor of a mistress.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Edited by Finn235
03/31/2017 11:48 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5035 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was sent to me by a forum friend down south a few years ago, year is in the 20-- range, may even be 2000.

Australia 20c acid bath

A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8917 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New coin for my scrap collection: vandalized coins .

New Zealand 1979 ,20 cents

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5168 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  01:40 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado - I rather like the cameo effect on that NZ 20 cents. Looks like a detector find that was put back into circulation.

For sheer vandalism you can't do much worse than put a rusty nail right through a coin!

This was found metal detecting, in the middle of a farmer's field!
Edited by NumisRob
04/06/2017 2:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For sheer vandalism you can't do much worse than put a pusty nail right through a coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What mintmark does it have?
www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com
Page: of 40 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 6.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05