Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Kennedy Half Dollar Considered An SMS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  4:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BabygirlShadow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had this coin for my entire adult life and have never noticed certain things about it until now. I need someone more skilled than myself to help me identify what it would be considered. Thanks!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10431 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a 1964-D business strike Kennedy half dollar . Looks like it was never in a holder . In this condition It's only worth melt , maybe $6.50 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BabygirlShadow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look closer at the 4 dots on the shield on reverse and also to the grease marks on the H and A in Half. These are particular markers of the 1964 and that have been confirmed. Am I just seeing things?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BabygirlShadow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked and have not found a single picture of a business strike with some of the particular markers present here not the coloring being in exact location as already previously confirmed.
Edited by BabygirlShadow
04/01/2017 5:09 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BabygirlShadow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't 1964 when the first business strikes were the SMS for that year? Just struck more defined and several times in cases?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36218 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what PCGS says about the 1964 SMS halves:
http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6844

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/01/2017 6:20 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BabygirlShadow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I've read it numerous times so far. Not able to tell honestly. It's a once in a lifetime find if so. I have had this coin for 20 years and it was passed to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36218 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins that were struck were with fresh dies and were not from Denver:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15183 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The SMS 1964 coins were not from Denver.
Gary Schmidt
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BabygirlShadow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok well in that case could it be a transitional die for that year to the d mint originally cast in Philadelphia?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36218 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2017  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is just another coin that was struck the same year from Denver. No connection to the SMS coins.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What makes the SMS 1964 series special, is that they have no flaws, first die strike and hardly reflective on like the regular proof.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, to have the markers, you first have to have the correct coin. If I have a coin showing all the markers for a 1972 Doubeld Die Obverse, but no doubling, I don't have the DDO. Keep looking and eventually you'll come across something! Happy hunting!

-CH27
CoinHunter27
Collector of US errors and variety coins of all kinds

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent"
-Carl Sandburg
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36218 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They SMS coins were struck with fresh dies and in limited quanities. (Probably less than 100 examples) these would have been kept in the original packaging. So finding them in the wild is false hope. I've seen examples that matched the die markers, but were not struck with the same process. They were test strikes for the SMS of 1965-1967.
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15183 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
these would have been kept in the original packaging.

Possibly but who knows what the "original packaging" was. These were not in any kind of official holders. They could have been kept in a bag, or a tray or a tube etc. The 64 SMS were not kept in sets at all. On the other hand they were never put into circulation either. All of them seem to trace back to Lester Merkin's sale of coins from former Mint Director Eva Adams estate.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were 1964-D presentation pieces struck in Denver. This isn't one of them, and they have no relation to the Philadelphia SMS coins.

The presentation pieces were struck with business strike dies, but the dies were polished and the coins were struck at least twice to bring up the details. Presentation strikes were given to politicians and a handful of other dignitaries. The dies used for the presentation strikes were used for regular business strikes. I have seen two of the presentation pieces on bourse floors many years ago (early 1970s), but none since then. Both had lightly frosted devices and exceptionally beautiful fields. I've heard all kinds of guesses on how many presentation pieces were struck.

In any event, your coin is an ordinary business strike.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05