Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1908 100 Koronas Hungarian Gold For Grading And Attribution

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 919Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2017  4:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my grandmothers. I want to know if it's a restrike or a regular issue. From what I have read online these are very low mintage pieces like a few thousand. Any help? My grandmother is 80 and she got these from her parents so I am pretty sure it's a regular issue if so it's mintage is just over 4,000.

Edited by Imthealphaomega
04/11/2017 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2017  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone chime in on this please?
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2017  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday, I was researching what the differences are between the originals and restrikes of these coins. Although I have found places where other people asked that question, it seems no one really knows the answer. Only place I found that may help is an older CCF thread found here, where the member Msc says what their Austrian catalogue says about the restrikes: "Colour light red and not matt." Looking at other images of these coins, I cannot tell how true that is; it is probably something that can only be told whilst the coin is in hand.

As for the grade, I am seeing neither any wear nor many marks. But then again, at the angle these pictures are at, it is hard to tell the originality of the surfaces or if any marks are hiding. Assuming there are no hidden problems, I would think it is at least MS-65. Very nice!
Edited by Joseph7420
04/14/2017 3:16 pm
Valued Member
Hungary
79 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gabibacsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see that the post is old but I would like to answer to it, because on more places here in the forum was asked, what is the difference between the original and the restrike.
1. From a photo it is nearly impossible to identify.
2. The restrike have often a proof appereance, because the restrike is made with the same die, but it is polished because in the meantime the die got rusted.
3. The restrike is concave, the deepest point is around the king. The original fields are completely flat.
4. Taking into hands, they are different. The restrike is poor in details.
5. The star on the left from the coat of arms is the poorest in detail at the restrike.
6. In UNC grade they have a different colour.
7. And the last the restrike fields have hundreds of small "waves".
Edited by Gabibacsi
06/27/2020 3:06 pm
Valued Member
Hungary
79 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gabibacsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im sure the coin on the photo is 100% restrike from the 60's.
Made by a hungarian government owned company named "ARTEX".
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade would be AU details, polished.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2085 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From a photo it is nearly impossible to identify.

Quote:
im sure the coin on the photo is 100% restrike from the 60's.

Valued Member
Hungary
79 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gabibacsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
arianzo!

"From a photo it is NEARLY impossible to identify."

Valued Member
Hungary
79 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gabibacsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We rarely see such a GOOD PHOTO. We have small waves to the left of "KIR", we have a redgold chain in a similar color to the coin, the original would be pale yellow, we have a big shadow to the right of the coat of arms, because this is the lowest point on the restrikes.
ARTEX was created by the leaders of the communist state to sell gold outside the Iron Curtain and therefore receive a Mark and Dollars. Most of the restrike are either pendant or in a bag. Most of the originals are in Eastern, Central and Western Europe, for collectors. The American grandmother story is typical.
Edited by Gabibacsi
07/07/2020 03:58 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 919Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05