Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Replacing pliofilm cover on 1957 set  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  5:17 pm Show Profile   Check lenver's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add lenver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas on replacing the pliofilm cover on a 1957 set in the original cardboard holder? I recently acquired one that has a small tear and was hoping I could replace it with something similar.

Thanks.
Edited by lenver
04/20/2017 5:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1000 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that thin mylar would be about the closest you can get. Mylar is coin safe.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
530 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Apitrix's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Apitrix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know a couple dealersput the sets into seran wrap, others out it into a large Bill holder and then wrap it. Whatever floats your boat :)
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Check lenver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add lenver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although the pliofilm is damaged the coins cannot be removed from the cardboard without causing further damage to the film. In this state there is no doubt that all the coins are the original that left the mint in the holder in 1957. Would the integrity of the set be compromised if I took them out of the original cardboard and put them into a Capital plastics holder? Is it better to leave them in the Cardboard and re-cover them?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4377 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd personally break the set out of the cardboard, it won't affect value. would you mind posting pictures of the set?
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check lenver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add lenver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ thedollarman. I am currently away from home but I will post some pictures tomorrow for those that are interested.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1277 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it will certainly affect value once it is out of the original packaging.. if you have just a small tear , just cover it with a small piece of plastic wrap..the set will still be original..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
851 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think if the coins are superb with cameos you could remove them, but if they are of more common grades and lacking cameos you may be better to leave them original.

I think what dollar man said is right to post photos
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:47 am  Show Profile   Check lenver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add lenver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As requested here are some pictures.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12774 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be inclined to place some clear acetate sheet on either side, and staple or tape into place. Cut the acetate sheet to about 0.5 mm less in width and length.

Optional to leave the remaining Pliofilm in place; it will provide some extra protection anyway.

Acetate sheet is used in some food packaging and has no plasticisers and chlorine that can contaminate food, and so should be quite safe for coin storage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My '59 set is still in the cardboard with what I assumed was the original pliofilm but most of the silvers have toned quite a bit. The dime is completely dark.

Is it likely that it's not the original wrapper? I don't think I have a photo and it's packed in the safe at the moment and I'm not going to dig it out.
- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05