Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I am sure this is not genuine. But....  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1225 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:00 pm Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't just toss it without getting the opinion of the forum.
Weight is 16.5 grams.
Thanks.

Learn More...
United States
19818 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is a fake it is done very well. Would lie to see a picture of the edge, but IMO it looks good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know this series well, but I don't like the lettering could be a false flag, but it looks too thin for the time period, and a bit shaky, like the engraver was not fluent in Greek. Copying rather than writing, if that makes sense.

Barring that, I would agree that nothing else throws up major red flags.
Learn about my avatar here:
http://goccf.com/t/276704
Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this is a fake it is done very well. Would lie to see a picture of the edge, but IMO it looks good.

Seriously? I really can't see anything about that coin that would make me think it is genuine....

a few things wrong with it...
underweight...

style....................

metal circle outside the border on both the obverse + reverse?

I don't think I have ever seen, or at least more than a few times a alexander tetradrachm which had such a big flan that there is space around both the obverse and reverse border.
surfaces look strange...
0 wear
+ do those reverse symbols even show up on a genuine coin?

Edited by arnoldoe
04/21/2017 01:35 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2552 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  02:33 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my strongest area (silver) but I agree that several things about it just aren't kosher.
First thing I noticed was the odd looking flan.
And as mentioned above the faint outer ring just doesn't belong.
Perhaps a practice run for someone learning the fine art of fakery ?
A talented artist made this. Probably in the not too distant past !
Would make a good piece for jewelry.

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3328 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BS, not really my area of expertise, but I will say that it looks stuck to me. Looks at the radial lines at 3 o'clock on the obv--thise make me think struck. Also, just outside of the beaded border on the obv is a thin circumferential line. That could be the edge of the die IMO.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Learn More...
United States
19818 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  07:04 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit the shape of the coin is odd along with how sharp the detail of the beaded edge is. The overall detail looks well executed and the lettering looks OK. At 16.5g given a margin for error for the scale used is within limits of the approx 17g Attic standard. The coin appears struck and not cast. Looking at the coin more closely I do notice a line outside the beaded edge which does concern me a bit. I think the coin needs to be looked at by and expert in this type before it is condemned.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2045 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The style struck me as quite wrong so I was surprised that it wasn't instantly condemned, though in its favour I can see that it is not poor in execution.

I agree that the line around the outside is somewhat of a corcern.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12759 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A century ago a numismatic expert could pick a fake by style.
I am well less that 100 years old, but to my eye,
the style is quite unfamiliar, and makes me suspicious.

My suspicions will be lessened if anyone else can picture a coin with a closely similar style.
Compare with a few examples on Wildwinds and Vcoins.

An edge examination may be helpful.

In a more modern approach, it would be nice to check it with an XRF instrument and compare the trace metal analysis with a few known genuine tetradrachms.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1567 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The style loooks completely wrong on both sides. I have seen a few of these being sold as Celtic imitations but I believe that they are modern in origin.
Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to admit the shape of the coin is odd along with how sharp the detail of the beaded edge is. The overall detail looks well executed and the lettering looks OK. At 16.5g given a margin for error for the scale used is within limits of the approx 17g Attic standard. The coin appears struck and not cast. Looking at the coin more closely I do notice a line outside the beaded edge which does concern me a bit. I think the coin needs to be looked at by and expert in this type before it is condemned.

adding up everything that is unusual There is no chance whatsoever the coin is genuine...

1) underweight... (very rare for tetradrachm of the period coin to be that underweight)
2) unusual style
3) border circle
4) surfaces look strange (blackened areas look similar to many fakes..)
5) no wear
6) unusual shaped flan
7) unusually large flan ( fitting the entire design
8) metal shows no signs of age, corrosion etc..
9) lettering does not look ok
10) The Reverse control symbols do not appear on a genuine coin, the coin isn't even a fake it is a fantasy piece...

Learn More...
United States
19818 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spend the last hour or so looking at thousands of examples of this type. Many genuine example listed look like poorly made fakes but are not. This coin has it's good points and some that may lead us to think it's not genuine. My contention at this point is to defer to an expert on this type. Until that happens I am not going to say with 100% certainty if it's genuine, fake, or a fantasy piece.

@arnolde, you make some excellent points, but I think we disagree with each other on some of them.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mylimebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arnoldoe is valid in all of his points. This coin is definitely modern. In addition to the points made, the strange style and the strange surface of this coin just confirm that it is "fake".

Marsha
Learn More...
United States
19818 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mylimebug, can you define what you mean about the strange style and surface?

Here are three images of Alexander tetradrachm two with odd shaped flans. Are they all real, all fake, or a mix?
Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm not too good about describing how the style is unusual just that it doesn't look genuine whatsoever..... but here are a few more unusual things about the reverse..
1: the bird has an indented eye, - could't find another like that
2: zeus has a pot belly...
3: strange foot stool shape
4: hairstyle?
- design looks cramped on the reverse compared to others
Learn More...
United States
19818 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  02:54 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting thread, we haven't had a decent debate here in a while. And I kind of push this one a bit. I did conclude that this piece is most likely a fake and arnoldoe your last post was what I was looking for to help prove it. However I still would recommend that an expert in this type check it out. @BigSilver if your planning on tossing it, send it to be. I would love to study it a bit more.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05