Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889-O Morgan Looks Like A Mix Of VAM-1a2 & 9/C; Lots Of Clashing,

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2017  07:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JayCameron to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I bought this in a lot, and there is some major clashing going on here. I thought it was VAM-1A2, but the date is far (like in 13-B).

Similarities with 1A2: (Keep in mind, this coin is low grade, so it may be hard to say -- if this could be something interesting, I can get my scope out or take better photos).

- Clashed (something) at where the letters should be.
- Die cracks at B EPU on obverse, and Of on IGWT on reverse.
- Clashing at Neck, and toothpick like marks at teeth
- A line going from B in liberty

Things NOT similar to 1A2
- Date is off by a whole denticle.
- Date is odd -- 9 doesn't touch, and in fact, it somewhat looks like some of the digits are doubled.
- Could be (probably is) wear, but stars looks somewhat crumbled or doubled

Why I think this is not a member of the VAM 9 series (as it is now)
-There's way too much clashing.

Help me out, and thank you!

Edited by JayCameron
04/27/2017 07:51 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1436 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a VAM 16 FAR Date High MM from the photos. As far as it being a VAM-1a2 or in that family its not even close. The clashing on VAM 1a1 and 1a2 coins is vary clear on coins in lower grades than this one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05