Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Cincinnati Music Center - Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,690Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2017  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many moons ago, I posted about the Cincinnati commemorative half dollar; you can find it here:1936 Cincinnati Half Dollar.

As part of that post, I included an example of the coin's standard three-coin holder that was used by the coin's sponsor to distribute purchased coins.

Tonight, I thought I'd showcase one of the much rarer notarized distribution holders.

Read More: Commems Collection

The 1936 half dollar commemorating Cincinnati as a center of music was the brainchild of Thomas Gatch Melish. He was not a prominent figure in the Cincinnati music scene, either as a performer, administrator or benefactor. He was, however, an entrepreneurial collector and successful local businessman who saw an opportunity for profit during the commemorative craze of the mid-1930s.

To cash in on "the craze," Melish formed the Cincinnati Musical Center Commemorative Coin Association. The sole purpose of what was essentially a one-man Association was to secure approval of a commemorative half dollar from Congress and then sell it to collectors for personal profit. Neither investing in the local music scene nor sponsoring a celebration of its history was on the agenda for the Association.

(Students of the classic series will recall that Melish used a similar model for the half dollar that jointly celebrated the centennial of Cleveland centennial and the Great Lakes Exposition.)

Though not part of the local music scene, Melish was, at least, active in the Cincinnati numismatic community; he served multiple terms on the Board of Governors for the Cincinnati Numismatic Association.

After the Cincinnati was approved, Melish arranged with the Mint to have the first 200 coins struck at each Mint facility be handled with special care (including being caught with soft gloves as they fell from the press) and placed in consecutively-numbered envelopes. These first-off-the-press sets were placed into custom-inscribed three-coin black leatherette holders that feature a notarized certificate attesting to the set's mintage sequence.

The certificate includes a space for the set's striking order to be written in and for the signatures of Thomas G. Melish, the President of the Association, and a Notary Public. I'm uncertain of the name associated with the signature for the notary on my holder, my eyes see a last name of "Brake" but I certainly wouldn't bet on it! Except for the certificate on the back, the scarce notarized holders are physically the same as the standard three-coin holders that were also used by the Association.

The holder in my collection is associated with the 6th set of coins produced. Unfortunately, the holder had been separated from the original coins by the time it became available to me; I don't know when the coins were separated from the holder or whether they remain together as a set. From the original mailing envelope that accompanied my holder, I do know the coin set was delivered to a collector in Brooklyn, NY in August of 1936.

As just 200 of the notarized holders (with the specially-handled coins) were created, the holders have always been somewhat scarce. Based on their infrequent appearances in auctions and dealer showcases at major coin shows, it seems reasonable to say that only a fraction of the original 200 notarized holders have survived. (In comparison, the same three-coin holder without the attached notarized certificate appears in the marketplace with some regularity.)

Can I put a number to the surviving notarized holders? Not with any claim to certainty. I will suggest, however, that it seems likely that fewer than 50 still exist. In reviewing multiple on-line auction archives, as well as older printed auction catalogs in my library, I've identified fewer than 10 of these notarized holders (some have appeared in multiple auctions).

My holder has weathered the last 80 years rather well, and doesn't show any significant signs of wear or damage.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll peer into some dealer's showcase and see a PDS set of Cincinnati half dollars accompanied by a letter indicating they were the 6th set off the presses and I will be able to reunite the coins and holder!

Enjoy!

1936 Cincinnati Notarized Holder - Front

1936 Cincinnati Notarized Holder - Back

Here is my Cincinnati. It is a lustrous example that appears rather subdued here due my scans (vs. properly-lighted digital photos).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2704 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2017  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great read. Thanks for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2017  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for your scholarship, always compelling. Still one of the least appealing commems in the classic series.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/30/2017 7:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3819 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some more info on the building.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinci...i_Music_Hall

I've been there on several occasions and it's an amazing piece of architecture. It is currently undergoing a very expensive renovation that should be wrapping up shortly. For a city of its size Cincinnati sure punches above its weight level in the arts.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent addendum to your original 1936 Cincinnati Half Dollar post.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tremendous update commems ... sincere congratulations on your #6 holder.

Amazing history that you have always shared with us ... and for that sharing I am personally thankful indeed.

Truly hopeful that you do indeed find these #6 coins someday ...

My work and life schedule often conspire to minimize my CCF time to quick responses .... please know that I truly value and appreciate everything that you can share.

Best - David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will always enjoy reading your informational post.

It is interesting seeing that holder ... and having another item to watch for.

Nice coin too ... I like the design
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2088 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2017  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, a very cool and informative post!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,690Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05