Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Send Coins to be Graded?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was just wondering the reasons why people send coins in to get graded? If you do send coins in to get graded then what is your criteria?
Is it possible grade?
Is it the rarity of the coin?
Is it the value of the coin?
Is it a combination?
If you do not send coins in then what are your reasons for not sending coins in?
I would just like to see peoples opinion on the subject. Thanks in advanced for your comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2418 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't send to TPG. I grade my own coins and get opinions here, at my coin club and from other friends.
numismatic_student aka CoinNerd
Wanna trade? View my Want List and items for trade: http://coinnerdtrading.blogspot.com/
CoinNerd's Type Set: http://coinnerdtypeset.blogspot.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
6086 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Check TypeCoin971793's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, I slab only if doing so means at least $100 more in sale price over raw. Other than that, I will not grace the TPGs with a single cent of my hard-earned money.
Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rushof1849 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really understand why anyone sends coins worth less than $100+ to be graded, as you may see on eBay, many coins in TPG slabs sell for much less than the ostensible cost to get them graded. How this occurs so often is beyond me- either many people are losing lots of money when they resell these lower value graded coins, or I suppose they are coins that were bulk graded, and even then I have heard the cost of bulk submissions is still at least $6-7. If I want graded coins in TPG slabs, I buy them on eBay, as it has always seemed to me to be much more cost efficient. Only if our coin is very valuable would I think the grading fees would be worth it to actually submit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1410 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. Been collecting for 30 years and never sent a coin in yet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
742 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy coins that others have sent in to be graded.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6230 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a senior veteran of the hobby and collect only raw coins . I don't need any grading service to grade my coins .
As far as authenticity I do my best by researching a KEYcoin before I buy it and making sure I only buy from reputable dealers who guarantee all coins they sell are authentic . But because I stick to common and semi-common circs of classic coinage ,I don't seem to have any problems .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have my better coins slabbed to protect my family when I'm gone. I also keep a notebook with my slabbed coins detailing what is what, approximate value and what things should bring.

I've seen all kinds of things done to heirs when they walk into a coin shop totally unprepared. My "favorite" (about 30 years ago) was when an older lady walked into a shop selling her late husband's collection of rolls of Morgan dollars. I watched the dealer buy rolls of dollars using the Graysheet as a "guide". He bought rolls of 1878-'CC's at 1878-S prices. He bought rolls of 1900-S's at 1900-O prices. My opinion of that dealer was flushed right down the toilet.

Don't let it happen to your family. Get your good stuff slabbed and make good notes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15333 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westernsky, I'm 100% with you. Nearly every coin I own worth more than $200 is slabbed, and the best portion of my paper money as well. My wife knows exactly where everything is to go. Generally speaking, I think this makes more sense the older you get.
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Pillar of the Community
United States
3012 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't sent a raw coin in for quite a while.
But when I did it was for these reasons (in descending order of importance to me):
1. Authentication (is it really what it appears to be)
2. Originality (has it been cleaned/altered)
3. Grade

Coins I send in now are for variety attribution (such as VAM for Morgan dollars).
That is NOT cheap to do.
You pay for:
-- getting the variety attribution
-- reholdering the coin (it has to be cracked out to put in the new label)
-- handling fee
-- S&H to the TPG
-- S&H back from the TPG
Works out to be $60-70 for just Regular service.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05