Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

You vs PCGS Germany 20 Mark Prussia 1888  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What would you give to this coin?

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10586 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2017  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing no wear and only a few noticeable marks, so I shall guess MS-65. Very nice.
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2017  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 65, but wouldn't be surprised if they said 66.
LRC
Valued Member
Germany
294 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2017  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Potsdam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Here in Germany probably Stempelglanz (stgl.) and therefore MS-65.
Always looking for old coins from Prussia / Brandenburg.

My online catalog for German coinage: http://oldgermancoins.com
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2017  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heart of Silver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say MS 66! Beautiful coin!
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2017  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for a the answers!
I will solve now: Its a PCGS MS 64. Maybe they are too harsh, but I like the coin eitherway :-)
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2017  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nazarene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to say it, but I agree (from photos) with their 64.
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I hate to say this: Last week I sent this coin to an expert for german coinage and its fake! PCGS put a fake coin into the Slab...
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10586 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin is fake?

Hmm... now I have to wonder: is the PCGS slab also fake? I would suggest posting this in the Third Party Coin Grading forum, posting full pictures of the slab this coin is in, and asking if the slab is fake. If the slab happens to be real, I am not sure what PCGS would do or how they would respond. The people who frequent the forum I posted above, however, may know...
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The expert for german coins will do the reclamation. I dont think that anyone would put a german fake coin (from the 1960s) into a fake slab. The problem is that PCGS shouln't grade things they don't unterstand. He has 12 other geman fake coins in real slabs as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10586 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2017  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dont think that anyone would put a german fake coin (from the 1960s) into a fake slab.

I have seen fake slabs before (PCGS ones as well as other grading companies), and if the slab is fake, it would be pretty much guaranteed that the coin inside is also fake. But now there is one thing I am interested in: did the expert you spoke to say why the coin was counterfeit? I am not that great at determining a coin's authenticity, so I am just curious.

But yeah, I think that PCGS is mainly only good with American coins. For world coins, I much prefer NGC; actually, even for American coins, I personally prefer NGC. I am sure there are many people who would disagree with me on that last part, however.
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2017  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1960 it was better to buy a gold coin instead of a gold bar, because of a different taxation (in Germany). Unfortunately there where no coins like Krugerand etc. Just the old circulation coins from the 19th and early 20th centuary. Because of this leak of coins there was a huge difference between melt value and price. A german ophthalmologist called Dr.Schmidt had an infernal idea: He made his own gold coins with the value of 5,10 and 20 Mark. They have the same material like real coins. At first he dit it for investors, but he became better and better. Later he made facsmiles in a better quality for collectors. But almost all of them have the same problem: The edge inscription. You can read the words ''Gott mit uns''.
And now to my case: I could not check the inscription because of the slab when I bought the coin. For me it seamed to be an early strike ''prooflike''. Last week there was a very similar coin at eBay that was at least made with the same stamp reverse. You can see little rifts between the feathers of the eagle. I asked for pictures of the inscription and got the impression that it was fake. I mailed these information to the expert and he told me to sent the coin to him. He dit not open the slab but he knows the problems of fake coins. Via phonecall he said that I was right. My slab is not the only one with a fake coin and he tries to get a refund. he has personal contacts to a former PCGS leader.
And now please excuse my english. Its horrible.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10586 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I see now. Thank you for the explanation! And I guess the fact that these things are also made of gold does not help distinguish them from the genuine coins. Your example certainly convinced me into thinking it was real!

Quote:
And now please excuse my english. Its horrible.

I have to disagree with you on that—your English is very good!
Edited by Joseph7420
08/09/2017 12:12 am
Germany
41 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2017  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much!
I tought it as well. The Portrait has much more Details than all my other Wilhelm II (And the are in a condition between what you call 58 and 62)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11613 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  10:30 am  Show Profile   Check IndianGoldEagle's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post with information all of us can use.
U.S. coins for sale at my eCrater store http://usn6771.ecrater.com/index.php. Free shipping for CCF members
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05